I'm a cyclist.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I'm also a pedestrian, but most of my time on the road, I'm a motorist.

Lots of people kicking off about the new highway code rules.

The guy in the vid seems upset, but has anything significant changed?

Pedestrians always had right of way.

There was always an exclusion zone around cyclists

Is the highway code enforceable or is it just advice?

If it says "must" in the Highway Code, then it is law and enforcible with points and or fines under a charge of contravening the Road Traffic Act. If it says should it is advisory only.

I agree the changes are only a reflection of what the origional intent was. Unfortunately too many vehicle drivers are either ignorant of their obligations or too arrogant/entitled to ensure they don't endanger others. These updates were very needed to ensure vunerable road users are able to make use of shared spaces safely.
You only need to look at comments in this forum to se why a resetting of drivers expectations are needed.

motorists are extremely ignorant of cyclist rights, I see it every day, councils don't help either by deliberately building half pineappled cycling lanes and cutting them off in weird places so you are forced to go into the middle of the road.

Rather than change the highway code why not level up by saying that to use the road you need both insurance and an MOT plus add a cycle as a class of vehicle to the driving license so you then need a driving test and the bike has to be registered which would also help with bike theft. Now a cyclist can also collect points on their license for any offences such as jumping red lights just like a motorist.

Rather than change the highway code why not level up by saying that to use the road you need both insurance and an MOT plus add a cycle as a class of vehicle to the driving license so you then need a driving test and the bike has to be registered which would also help with bike theft. Now a cyclist can also collect points on their license for any offences such as jumping red lights just like a motorist.
How about getting motorists to pay in full for the total amount of pollution that they emit ?

How about getting motorists to pay in full for the total amount of pollution that they emit ?
Covered by zero road tax for cyclist but cars etc pay depending on pollution levels. The bit that has escaped since day one has been the energy and pollution created by the actual production of a motor vehicle, it consumes far more than ever gets returned although slight improvement with better recycling.

You've missed the point. The highway code, driving test, MOT, licence, insurance and all the other constraints which drivers have to put up with, are because powered vehicles would be even more dangerous without them. It's for their benefit to keep them from danger to themselves and other less dangerous road users too.
Pedestrians are not dangerous at all, runners, horses, cyclist could be but very rarely , so all that road traffic law and regulation would not be needed if it wasn't for powered vehicles. It's the price they have to pay, not other road users.
Also it's assumed that vehicle owners can park on the public roads when not in use. Possibly the biggest mistake made in the history of motor vehicle law.
Or to put it simply - powered vehicles are the problem, pedestrians and cyclists are not.

Last edited:
Covered by zero road tax for cyclist but cars etc pay depending on pollution levels. The bit that has escaped since day one has been the energy and pollution created by the actual production of a motor vehicle, it consumes far more than ever gets returned although slight improvement with better recycling.

I'll agree on the huge amount of pollution created by the production of motor vehicles and that is why they should be much more expensive to buy.

The "road tax" doesn't cover emissions because it doesn't exist. No duty that motorists pay covers the cost of pollution emitted or the damage done to local and national infrastructure caused by motorists.

But carry on.

Triple the price of fuel, that would make people reflect on
the necessity of their journey.
Bit tough on those that need their vehicle for work though,
I suppose.
And, no, I don't even possess a bicycle, let alone ride one. :)

Triple the price of fuel, that would make people reflect on
the necessity of their journey.
Bit tough on those that need their vehicle for work though,
I suppose.
And, no, I don't even possess a bicycle, let alone ride one. :)
The cost of the job done would need to cover the vehicle cost. There are a number of trades people now that use cargo bikes for transport. They even make it a marketing angle.

Lots of cyclists here it seems.

Can anyone advise what grease I should use for my seatpost bearings?
Or is that topic best avoided, like sharpening and old vs new tools?

1643562718831.jpeg

Back