I'm a cyclist.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a very rare and difficult athletic trick to perform
It can be done, I've seen it happen. The usual gig is to wait till you come to lights and wrench it off.

I've had to kick out at a few cars, more a kind of tap with the outside of the foot than a kick. When they decided to change lanes as i was parallel to them, but nothing too serious. Just a friendly reminder to check properly.
What is easier to do is when at the lights you open the passenger door. They hate that :LOL: or fold in the mirror. but actually damaging it I wouldnt do.

It can be done, I've seen it happen. The usual gig is to wait till you come to lights and wrench it off.

I've had to kick out at a few cars, more a kind of tap with the outside of the foot than a kick. When they decided to change lanes as i was parallel to them, but nothing too serious. Just a friendly reminder to check properly.
What is easier to do is when at the lights you open the passenger door. They hate that :LOL: or fold in the mirror. but actually damaging it I wouldnt do.

:ROFLMAO:
It's a fact that van wing mirrors can often be head height and head sized. Designed to whack a cyclist!o_O

this thread is now officially weird. some right odd balls on here who just don't know right from wrong because they must at all costs protect their "side".
Bloody weirdo's the lot of you. Thank god it's the internet and not real.

That's the whole point of insurance, what are you complaining about exactly?Not true - you had insurance and claimed. You could have pursued the poor girl home and sued to recover your lost no claims discount (if anything). I don' think a magistrate would be too sympathetic!
PS yes come to think perhaps you should have paid her a visit to see if she was hurt and tell her not to worry about the scratch as it was covered by the insurance anyway.

That's not irony - it's just stupidity at best, and lieing at worst.
Get a grip - I didn't expect anybody to believe that I thought wing mirrors are designed to whack cyclists. :rolleyes:
Nevertheless they are a hazard and I've had similar experience with a mirror wafting past very close to my ear. I described it earlier somewhere, and how it led to me putting on my hi-viz top and discovering that you immediately get given a bit more space on a busy road. I've been recommending hi viz tops ever since.
Hope that helps.

You've said some 'silly' things, Jacob, but that is a corker!

The mirror is designed to provide information about things happening to the rear.
I guess you have never been hit by one then. I got hit on the elbow, admittedly not the rear, by a wing mirror while I was walking along a pavement. It hurt like heck. It was in town and fortunately the van was not going too fast or my arm would have been fractured. He pulled in close to the curb as another silly person was pulling out around a parked car on the other side of the road. Needless to say the driver didn't stop. I thought at the time he must have heard it as it made a heck of a bang, but he probably had the radio on and was blisfully unaware of what was going on outside his comfortable bubble.

The problem with vans is that the mirrors stickout well past the wheel line

I guess you have never been hit by one then. I got hit on the elbow, admittedly not the rear, by a wing mirror while I was walking along a pavement. It hurt like heck. It was in town and fortunately the van was not going too fast or my arm would have been fractured. He pulled in close to the curb as another silly person was pulling out around a parked car on the other side of the road. Needless to say the driver didn't stop. I thought at the time he must have heard it as it made a heck of a bang, but he probably had the radio on and was blisfully unaware of what was going on outside his comfortable bubble.

The problem with vans is that the mirrors stickout well past the wheel line
Friend of mine had his hand broken by a wing mirror. He was trying to slow down a speeder on a country lane as his wife and child were walking close behind.

I didn't expect anybody to believe that I thought wing mirrors are designed to whack cyclists
So why say it?

I'm well aware that you were saying it for 'comic' effect but that's not an excuse for lieing.

Have you decerned that I can't abide liars!

anti wing mirror brigade :ROFLMAO: soon be cameras so the AWMB will be disbanded

I quite like wing mirrors, gives me a better view of cyclists cutting up the inside, it's really the driver and not the mirror which is the issue.

Last edited:
Friend of mine had his hand broken by a wing mirror. He was trying to slow down a speeder on a country lane as his wife and child were walking close behind.

For all I understand trying to slow a speeder down, surely common sense tells you holding your hand out in it's path is not a great idea.

Back