If money is no object, what is the best floor standing router table on the uk market?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum.

I would hope we can help you answer that as we have a wide range of quality router tables. The most important thing is to ensure you get the router table that suits your needs. I have four router tables in my workshop the biggest difference between them is router fences, I love the simplicity and sheer quality of the JessEm but enjoy the repeatability and accuracy of the Incra.

Cheers

Peter

Hi

Well the important parts are the top, motor, insert plate and fence with the rest being framework. If I was building a router table today I would use the AUK motor with remote speed controller and Jessem lifter JessEm Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router Remote Speed Control and NVR , this uses plastic insert rings or money no object then the Incra INCRA Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router Remote Speed Control and NVR that uses metal insert rings held in place magnetically, both give precise adjustment and then top it off with an Incra fence system and positioner, several options but the all singing package is INCRA LS25 Positioner Super System with Wonder Fence 635mm (Metric) which gives ability to offset the infeed/outfeed fences and other features so if money no object then this setup gives you probably a complete routing setup with repeatable precision and that will not need tweeking or updating anytime soon. The base needs to support the top and not vibrate during use, most are steel frames and I use a Kreg table but have sat it on woodern feet that have stopped any vibration as well as a wooden shelf that has some added weight on it, this all helps.

if money was really no object I reckon it wouldn't be difficult to trump anything on the market. set an engineer thinking and get building. most brought ones are over complicated and under engineered. I include pretty much all commercial ones( I've encountered) thats why building one was( is) a popular project still. want a fence that lines up....make it one piece.

if money was really no object I reckon it wouldn't be difficult to trump anything on the market. set an engineer thinking and get building. most brought ones are over complicated and under engineered. I include pretty much all commercial ones( I've encountered) thats why building one was( is) a popular project still. want a fence that lines up....make it one piece.

That's kind of how the incra ls positioner works which I think is an amazing fence with ultra high resolution and repeatability like a track saw it is a game changer for the industry

I’ve been doing a bit of research on upgrading my own router table, at the mo I’m following a guy on Instagram who has installed an 80mm 2.2kw CNC spindle with ceramic bearings in an Incra type router lift.
The spindle is 3 phase fed off single phase via a variable frequency drive which gives him great control over cutter speed & in his words the quietest spindle he’s ever had & he‘s had a few.
The only drawback is he’s in Australia so at the mo I’m looking at what’s available here in the UK but with that kind of set up with an Incra type fence would properly fore fill all my router table needs.

If that is indeed the case, take a look at Peter Sefton's website!

If not, look at a cast iron option and then put the incra fence and Mast-R lift.

I agree with jameshow a spindle moulder is probably better overall but both is nice.

For me I would get a second hand spindle moulder and a cheaper router table.

Doug B makes a good suggestion about using a proper spindle motor with vfd control. I have been thinking about doing this for ages. I want to mount it on linear rails and control depth with a single stepper motor.
Effectively just using a Z axis from a cnc upside down. That would be the ultimate.

Ollie

Doug B makes a good suggestion about using a proper spindle motor with vfd control. I have been thinking about doing this for ages. I want to mount it on linear rails and control depth with a single stepper motor.
Effectively just using a Z axis from a cnc upside down. That would be the ultimate.

Ollie

Interesting! I designed a setup like what you are talking about last year using a 2.2kw 240v to 3 phase vfd powered W/C spindle with ER20 collets that would hold up to 1/2" or 12mm cutters on linear rail,s but I went with a manual screw lift, because to use a stepper you either have to leave power onto it or fit a power brake to hold position, my thought was you would not be changing height so much so seemed pointless to hold on power while you are doing the cutting.

Interesting! I designed a setup like what you are talking about last year using a 2.2kw 240v to 3 phase vfd powered W/C spindle with ER20 collets that would hold up to 1/2" or 12mm cutters on linear rail,s but I went with a manual screw lift, because to use a stepper you either have to leave power onto it or fit a power brake to hold position, my thought was you would not be changing height so much so seemed pointless to hold on power while you are doing the cutting.
How are you finding it in use ?
I thought about having a hand crank also. I was going to use a ballscrew for the stepper so it should not sag or move once powered off. Was just thinking of a simple up down control using a pulse generator. Maybe a bit change macro.

It's funny that once you have experienced cnc water cooled spindles with vfds and zero runout regular routers just seem totally rubbish.

Ollie

A moulder. I had a large router table for years - it worked fine. If it'd have been a moulding machine, it would be more useful.

For the few things that you need to do with a router (small template routing or whatever), any plain little table would do fine.

I still do have a router table - one of the ones that sears used to sell for $90. I use it to template route guitar bodies. I gave up the big table in favor of doing moulding work, etc, by hand.

Thank you for everyones replies, really appreciate the feed back. Although I have a spindle and use it a great deal, the cost of bespoke cutters makes it more cost effective to buy high end router bits. Also my spindle is in a combination machine, so if that is set I cant use my table saw! Small London workshop. I was either looking at the JessEm or the Inca, and although they both look great, just wondered if one was noticeably better than the other! Although the Inca has a footprint that looks a little large. I also looked at the UjK set up which looks pretty good and almost identical to the Kreg! Although I love the idea of using a CNC spindle with the Inca lift, I can not really make the time to build something that does not work straight out the box!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

I also looked at the UjK set up which looks pretty good
Walk away, the insert plate is a different size to Incra, Jessem and Kreg which are imperial and the lift mechanism is overly complicated and uses a chain and sprocket arrangement whereas the others use just two post linear bearings and single screw for lift, much simpler and less to go wrong.

I can say the Incra fence is very good indeed. Being able to adjust the position of the fence with great accuracy is very nice for those times you need "just a hair" more or less.

Ollie

I have had UJK lift for over ten years, has never caused me a problem, is well engineered, used in a UJK table use STP engine oil additive and dust box which keeps the chain and threads clear of any debris, that is real world experience not supposition, but if I was doing all this again I would look at the JessEm set up on Peter Sefton's site, very good to deal with and honour their guarantee beyond normal, if only for that I would buy from them: Routing - Router Tables - Router Table Combos - Wood Workers Workshop

Welcome to the forum.

I would hope we can help you answer that as we have a wide range of quality router tables. The most important thing is to ensure you get the router table that suits your needs. I have four router tables in my workshop the biggest difference between them is router fences, I love the simplicity and sheer quality of the JessEm but enjoy the repeatability and accuracy of the Incra.

Cheers

Peter

As I prepare to move home, I have sold almost everything ever bought for my workshop - except my Incra. Even if it remains wrapped in bubbles till the day I die, I am not letting that go!

Thank you for everyones replies, really appreciate the feed back. Although I have a spindle and use it a great deal, the cost of bespoke cutters makes it more cost effective to buy high end router bits. ....
Make your own cutters; fraction of the price of even router cutters and you can exactly match any profile.
Router gets relegated to small stuff only, particularly if hand held.

Back