I wish to put things straight.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theblindwoodturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all on this list.

Please do forgive me for posting this message on this side of the board. Due to something which has just happened which has deeply upset and horrified both myself and family, I must write this.

I joined this forum this weekend gone to participate as an active member of the list, to make good and trustworthy friends, offer my expertise and knlowledge in the field of woodturning and tooling, etc.

I also joined here as it is a chance for me to give some help to those who could benefit and support where I can.

Please understand that I do not use my blindness as a carrier to achieve things with intention to rattle people. I do not intentionally or actively use my disability for gain, etc. This is completely untrue.

The reason I mention every so often that I am blind is because I am comfortable in talking about it unlike most occasions where other disabled folk might not feel comfortable about it and that's understandable.

I'd like to put this straight and no I'm not doing this for the fun of it. This is so that people understand what I'm going through and so that you understand.

I was born visually impaired and underwent over 15 years of operations and therapies to try and give me good enough vision to get on with. Sadly that was stolen from me when school bullies thought it was funny to make my life a misery for 4 years. The attack which took place ended every chance of the life I had mapped out for me and changed the way I had to live. How this happened is pretty simple. A gang of over 20 lads decided between classes to gang up on me and give me a beating. this beating became even worse when I was pinned to the wall, punched, kicked, my head grabbed and fired into a solid concrete wall several times, then thrown to the floor, stood on my back then they proceeded to kick the base of my skull in.. All I can remember after that was waking up in hospital in St Asaph to see nothing and be in pain. then to find out when my surgeon had to talk to me and explain everything including sending me to have an advanced MRI scan to find out what else was wrong. That was it for me.

So for 11 years, I've had to fight for my rights for education, equality and freedom. Every day is a reminder I can't get over of what happened to me. Doesn't matter how hard I try, this is it. What I'M STUCK WITH.

For so long, I've asked for someone out there to treat me with respect, understanding and above all compassion. so far very few people have done that. Being here and having folk chat with me both on and off forum has allowed me to open up for the most part.

am a skilled woodturner, woodworker and tool guy and have grown up in a family full of tradesmen from steelworkers to joiners, etc. I learnt my trade from my grandfather and from there I took it on as a life saver. I'd give anything for a normal sighted life but hey, we don't always get what we want in life do we?

There's so many things I'd love to do. Drive, read a news paper, see the face of my mum or the people around me, ride a bike on my own, a steady 9 to 5 job working for a company, etc.

sorry...... And the audience said....... X

there we go.

I'm deeply sorry to those who I may have upset, etc

To be honest. I shouldn't have come here if the way certain people of forum have been. At least I know where everything lies.

To the moderators, Please do accept my sincerest apologies.

Yours.

Lewis

I'm removing this comment until I'm sure of the situation!!

I have now read the 'I'm off' thread on the of topic part of this forum. Whilst I see plenty of 'evidence', I find none of it particularly damning by itself without knowing the entire background. A public forum is not the best place for all this to be aired. If someone has been taken in or ripped off personally, then I could understand why the vitriol. I knew no details of this person's life and frankly, don't need to.

His first posts seem fine to me and I can only take it all on that basis and will continue to respond to him as I already have. If I am proved wrong I will put a 'foe' tag on and that will be it and maybe it will prove I am a gullible fool, maybe not..

We had another recent example of jumping to conclusions about someone that has subsequently proved to be unfounded. Its much to easy to jump to conclusions without having all the information and it seems a worrying trend that one is assumed to be guilty until proven innocent.

I repeat my welcome to the forum and hope that this will settle down.

From what I have seen and read of you, you are a knowledgeable guy with information to share. Your comments demonstrate an expertise and incidently you are blind. You are worthy of respect and no one has the right to challenge or belittle your achievements. I have not read anything detrimental, perhaps it was on one of the other forums.

I am in aware of your achievements and as a fully sighted person, and regardless of being one I don't have the breadth of skills or knowledge you have been kind enough to share.

Either way, nothing I have seen detracts from the value you have to offer. If others have made the kind of comment to which you felt you needed to apologise or explain then the fault lies elsewhere and in fact you are owed an apology - not needing to provide an explanation.

Here, Here to Gordon's comments. Keep your comments and observations coming.

I'm shocked Lew. People can be small minded and mean, but surely there is no place for that in an "adult" environment.
You keep yourself here, I have nothing but the greatest admiration for you and I am sure many others do too. If anyone has issues with your disability it says far more about them than it does you.

I have met lewis and family he is far braver than me, I admire his outlook on life. People should not point fingers until they know all the facts.
Brian.

Hi Lewis
Bravo. Speak out loud, for far too long disability has been pushed into a corner or under the carpet, mostly by those who are not disabled and they are the ones who are uncomfortable talking about it. I can only say that my philosophy is ' When people know better, they do better' . I only hope that you posting this information about yourself gets the message across to those who need to learn it. I can only say that from my experience on the wood turning forum I have experienced support and constructive criticism when I have asked for it. Yes, there is banter, which most of the time makes people smile, occasionally there are heated differences, which usually get resolved. So, come on over here and hang with the nice guys and gals!

bless you elaine. have a hug and a choccy biscuit. McVittie's any good?

I completely agree with you and thanks for your kind words and support.

Finally I'm showing some strength at last and feeling better. I've had to stand my corner and finally people are starting to see where I'm coming from and apologising for their comments and I'm grateful to them.

cheers and take care all.

lew

I live down the road from the McVitties factory, the smell that drifts out when we are passing by is delicious especially on the chocolate digestive days. So all hugs and choccy biscuits are gratefully received. I look forward to talking with you on this forum.

Hi Lew

Not sure if I welcomed you to the forum or not so welcome, I have not read any bad messages concerning you, have spoken to my wife about how much I think of you turning wood, I think it's an exhalent achievement.

I read a message yesterday where you said something about how you would like if the software you are using could explain to you the image which are posted on the forum, this made me think a lot and probably quite a few here as well, Yesterday I was at a craft fair and I had a hollow form on display a lot of people liked the look of the pice but they only really liked it when I said pick it up, feel it ,hold it, after this they all said they now understood why I called it the offering, the way it site in your hand makes it feel that you are giving it to someone.

Don't let people question your skills or mock you, I was once told how disgusting it was for a DRUNK to be in charge of a seven your old, I wasn't drunk, I was just me, I have a nick name Spasm, of which I’m proud so again don't let people get you down stay with us this is a nice place to hang out, there are some very nice helpful people here.

Yours Spasm

Robert Davies

I would like to thank all of you who have spoken with me and offered me strength and support on this forum through this rather tricky time. It is much appreciated and I am incredibly grateful to know there are decent, respectful and understanding folk here.

Anyhow It's a little late in the day and I have to confess to feeling a little tired.

Don't worry. I'll be back tomorrow to take on the day's business.

lew

First I have heard of any of this and have no idea to what has gone off, I bet I missed your welcome thread so ill say welcome now.

Can I ask one question, in the risk of me looking a bit stupid ill defend myself before I ask. This thread is the first I have read that you have posted, I have reading problems so quickly read things. However, I am very interested in how you go about producing wood turnings? Being blind since your school days probably means you haven't seen "yourself" turn much if any wood. What brought you into turning wood while blind?

Sorry that was 2 questions.

Hi Lewis,
I've not been on here much recently but the posts I have read from you seem sincere and informative, I'm shocked to think that some might have doubted your disability, I wish you well in all your future work and hope to see more of your contributions.
Regards Chris.

Lewis
This is a hard one. I know that being blind does not stop you turning - there have been a good number of people who do it and I am constantly stunned and impressed by it and at the same time totally get how and why you can turn blind - I even sometimes imagine shutting my eyes to try it and then come to my senses :) Hence I have no real reason to doubt your username.
I can't imagine welding blind and hoping to go a good job of it but I still have no real reason to doubt - there are many things I don't understand or imagine in this world!
There are some "accusations" or at least circumstances to either explain or disprove around kit sales and different names which make me uncomfortable and to be honest not facing those items down will only result in them following you around. Either you have used different names or not, either for good reason or no reason. What is the kit trail of donations to sale (or not) etc.
This forum has a little sensitivity (see I am a master of understatement too :)) to trading - Blister coped a stupid amount of hassle at one point - and there is also the risk that the "good Karma" which abounds in this place around free / cheap kit could be damaged if people perceive others getting stuff free or cheap and then make a profit at some later point from the same group of people.
Many of the people expressing concerns and doubts on the "i'm off" thread are people who are quite respected on here and it would be nice if this all had a happy ending however ignoring it will not resolve it.
Kind regards
Miles

Lew,

Firstly, hello and welcome. Being a new member I expect that it is quite offputting to be ivolved in some sort of controversy so soon, but I just want to point out that this forum is every bit the helpful and sociable place you seem to be hoping it is. As with any gathering of people, there are misunderstandings and "crossed wires" and whatever, but that's just normal. I haven't read back over what happened so I don't really know what this is about - I tend to steer well clear of these things where possible. This thread, however, did make me want to just point out that we all welcome any insight into a member's lives and the things they deal with - it's part of the social nature of a forum - but you shouldn't feel you have to explain your back story to justify anything, or for any other reason than you want to share it.

As far as almost all here are concerned, we are turners (well, I'm not sure I count yet) of varying experience, interested by each others' techniques, ideas and feedback, regardless of backgrounds or situations. I think whatever has gone will be forgotten in no time - the common ground and the reasons we are all here are much more relevant.

Hi Lew

We've had communications so you know that I respect who you are and what you are doing but we live in a world full of tricksters and opportunists so it is no wonder that sometimes eyebrows are raised and feathers ruffled when things don't quite "ring true". Most people view life these days with a little scepticism - certainly I do!

This will die down so keep contributing usefull stuff in a positive way and you'll find the vast majority of members will support you.

(BTW - be sure you know what you're talking about as the post on wiring flourescent lights to a plug wasn't one of your best and quite rightly got a response from a qualified electrician :lol: :lol: )

cheers

Bob

Any chance a mod can move this thread to the man hug forum ?

I see this along the same lines as Gordon,have read the "I'm off" topic and see it exactley as he does.
If you are happy that you are being honest then you should continue to be a contributer to this forum.
Look fwd. to your posts
Eugene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back