I want to go on courses like these......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are these sorts of courses over here. David Charlseworth, John Lloyd, etc

What I think we lack is the more basic training days that are available over in the US. i.e One day courses on certain subjects, whether they are Hand tools or power tools.

I have wondered if there might be a business in Woodworking holidays in the UK. i.e a B&B with a large workshop attached. Throughout the season a variety of courses are held with guest tutors. I think it's a good idea, but I'd never convince the missus. :cry: :roll:

Wizer, Bruce Luckhurst does shorter more specific basic courses. I went on his 1 weeek hand-tool course which was great, taught me a lot of basics on tool sharpening and tuning and basic woodworking. He does ones for finishing, wood buying, restoration etc.. And he is only in Ashford which was handy for me.

yeh I have considered going on one of Bruce's courses. One day.

ahh well, i'll have to spend the money on a toy er tool.

I suggest you have a look at the Blokeblog (Horses for Courses) for one or two day courses in Salisbury... - Rob

woodbloke":1hqv0i55 said:
I suggest you have a look at the Blokeblog (Horses for Courses) for one or two day courses in Salisbury... - Rob

Nice one Rob - but do you do B&B ??? :lol:

Cheers

Karl

To answer the previous two posts from Karl and BB, fully inclusive accommodation is provided...cooked brekky, teas, coffees and refreshments, snack at lunch time, good hot meal in the evening with pud, ale or vino and a tot or two of something from north of the border as the evening wears on...
As time is compressed into a weekend, courses are fairly intensive and would be tailor made to cover topics of the individuals choosing, so if say honing and sharpening were up to speed we wouldn't look at that aspect but if sawing at the bench or marking out were below par then these could be covered. I've given just a couple of examples but really any aspect(s) bar the use of machinery by a student, could be covered, the idea being that someone could then go back to their 'shop and get in some further practice.
As a matter of interest, I've got someone coming down on a Friday night for a full weekend course (Sat and Sun) in a couple of weeks time, so I'm really looking forward to that - Rob

Actually Rob, I'd seen and noted you was doing this. I think it's a great idea and may even come to see you next year (I hibernate over the winter ;) )

Good luck with it, I think you'll do well.

Rob, it sounds like a great idea, and something I could see taking off for you, there are certainly aspects within my woodworking that I would like improving, so I'll no doubt be in touch in the new year to discuss.

ByronBlack":2mffg3av said:
Rob, it sounds like a great idea, and something I could see taking off for you, there are certainly aspects within my woodworking that I would like improving, so I'll no doubt be in touch in the new year to discuss.

Look forward to it. I haven't opened this up to the general populace, it's just something that I think would be very useful to UKWorkshop forum members as these sorts of courses aren't around. Going back to one of Wizer's comments, it may well be possible to extend the weekend into the next week (Bank Holiday weekend for example) Depends really on what sort of areas of workshop practice need to be covered and what sort of time frame the individual wants to slot it into - Rob

woodbloke":3hwmeosm said:
As a matter of interest, I've got someone coming down on a Friday night for a full weekend course (Sat and Sun) in a couple of weeks time, so I'm really looking forward to that - Rob
That'll be me :D
Having discussed what I think my weak points are (hmmm, just about everthing) Rob has put a lot of work into developing a detailed lesson plan for the weekend.
Only prerequisites are that you advise if you're Veggie, TeaTotal or anything else odd, and sign a piece of paper to accept full responsibilty for any acts of self harm (catching chisels, flattening thumbs etc.)
Really looking forward to it.
Steve

Back