I think I need a new blade for my TS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a second-hand table saw - a Metabo 315C. It's not a proper workshop saw, but all I want it for is ripping pieces to a different width/thickness - eg, cutting a 100 x 20 board down to 75 x 20.

I've just spent the afternoon setting it up, and I'm disappointed with the result. It doesn't seem happy cutting - lot of vibration, the pieces needed a good push to get them through, when I was expecting "a hot knife through butter" - and the finish is nowhere near as good as I get on my Bosch circular saw with the standard blade,

The blade is, I suspect, the original Metabo blade - 315mm, 24 teeth. Looking at the teeth, they show signs of wear (a couple could be chipped), but some look as though they're not used (no polish on the cutting edge/face).

IS it just the blade, or is it something more serious? And if it is the blade, what do you recommend for a general purpose, multi-material (wood, ply, MDF), mainly ripping with possibly some cross-cutting blade? If it exists?

Thanks

Ian

The blade should be parallel with the fence if not it side loads the blade and the up rising teeth at the rear mark the cut edge. the blade of this site saw does sound like it should be replaced or at least sharpened if its viable. Vibration can come from the motor if faulty.

OLD":1u2npizj said:
The blade should be parallel with the fence if not it side loads the blade and the up rising teeth at the rear mark the cut edge. the blade of this site saw does sound like it should be replaced or at least sharpened if its viable. Vibration can come from the motor if faulty.

I set the fence parallel as part of the setting up this afternoon. Only by eye, so it could be fractionally out - would that be critical?

Also, it's only a short fence - reaches to/just past the spindle. Would a longer one provide more support?

24 teeth is generally a ripping blade for along the grain.
at that size blade it's more cost effective to have them sharpened, I'm sure you'll see big improvements in the cut quality if you do. Or if too many teeth are chipped badly I'd bin it & get a new one.

General all purpose blades ( around the 48T) are usually a compromise.

I use a 22 /24 t for ripping, a 48 for general crosscuting etc on small stock, and a 80/90T for fine crosscutting on hardwood etc.

I use a multi chip blade for cutting sheets and a special 40 degree angle blade for MDF.

Hope this helps

ProShop":3rkfadqk said:
24 teeth is generally a ripping blade for along the grain.
at that size blade it's more cost effective to have them sharpened, I'm sure you'll see big improvements in the cut quality if you do. Or if too many teeth are chipped badly I'd bin it & get a new one.

General all purpose blades ( around the 48T) are usually a compromise.

I use a 22 /24 t for ripping, a 48 for general crosscuting etc on small stock, and a 80/90T for fine crosscutting on hardwood etc.

I use a multi chip blade for cutting sheets and a special 40 degree angle blade for MDF.

Hope this helps

Sharpening could be a challenge, as I live in a quiet part of France - my nearest town has only 60k residents.

I think I need to order a new blade by post from the UK - probably an all-purpose (48T) blade - and if I can find a place to sharpen my current blade, I'll then have a spare.

I know Axminster ship to France, but the choice seems to be either cheap (Perform - £27) or quality (CMT 285 - £64). Plus shipping.

Maybe I'll have to get my daughter to buy one in London and bring it out....

A quiet part of France :D that'll be about 98% of the country then Ian :D .

FWIW Rutlands have started shipping abroad and list France, they have a reasonable selection of blades, but imho stay clear of the Dakota brand.

ProShop":1mvww6ut said:
A quiet part of France :D that'll be about 98% of the country then Ian :D .

FWIW Rutlands have started shipping abroad and list France, they have a reasonable selection of blades, but imho stay clear of the Dakota brand.

....and I just happen to have a Rutlands catalogue to hand. .............

Thanks (from sleepy France)

You certainly live in a lovely part of the world Ian ..I used to go every year(for about 10 years) for my holidays (gliding ) in France at Le Blanc,and one year at Issoudun so know the Indre region pretty well.

Very friendly people and lovely countryside...

Fergus":17c3y9l6 said:
You certainly live in a lovely part of the world Ian ..I used to go every year(for about 10 years) for my holidays (gliding ) in France at Le Blanc,and one year at Issoudun so know the Indre region pretty well.

Very friendly people and lovely countryside...

True, we fell on our feet when we discovered this area. And the absence of a saw doctor in Chateauroux is a small price to pay.

(Though the Yellow Pages indicates there IS one............). Hmmm.

Regards

What a difference a good blade makes. I've just fitted a Freud Pro (LP60M) blade, and it's a joy to use. So easy - no effort to push. Smooth running. Cuts 30mm oak easily. And it leaves a near glass-like finish on the wood.

I'm a happy man.

Thanks for all your help

Latest posts

Back