i need a full set of machines for a workshop 20k budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsumouse

Reaction score
guys, i have been reading all kinds of reviews on machines for a few months now.
i am in the early stages of setting up a joinery company.
i have roughly 20k budgeted for machines,

this has to include mobile dust units, all machinery needed and power tools for 2-3 guys.
also compressor and spray equiptment for a polisher.
and maybe 1ks worth of tooling/blades and disks for sander

so guys there is a task to best spend my 20k.

i hope you can help with your personal opinions of your favorite machines.

cheers guys

1k for tooling? Really? I think you've got a bit of learning to do about tooling costs. What sort of work are you looking to undertake? Without that a budget is pretty difficult to set - as is advice on machinery. In any case I'd have thought anyone setting up a business would include at least one trained joiner with the C&G books which discuss the process in detail, so I'm surprised that you are asking here. So do tell us more

Scrit

Hi Scrit

vsumouse":1zv42gb0 said:
just wondering how big everyones workshops are, also the machines you have in them.

maybe you have a garage and a shed!

come on then guys, its time for you to show off.

i got a measly smaller than standard garage :oops:

What's that I smell?

Cheers,
Neil

Carter":110uy59v said:
Hi Scrit

vsumouse":110uy59v said:
just wondering how big everyones workshops are, also the machines you have in them.

maybe you have a garage and a shed!

come on then guys, its time for you to show off.

i got a measly smaller than standard garage :oops:

What's that I smell?

Cheers,
Neil

that smell you have is the smell of asking a question without giving much away, i thought if i mentioned that i was pondering the idea of setting up a company there would be little help from you guys (at this minuite it seems i am correct).

i am a trained joiner, was a timeserved joiner for 7 years and i have now been a draughtsman for over two years.
the reason i have asked you guys for advise is because of my budget.
i could go out and buy all the top end machines if there was no budget, i know what i need to buy but doing it inside a 20k budget is dificult.

i thought that some of the people on this forum would have purchased heavyduty/industrial machines that are not the top end machines but are a close match at a lower price.

the joinery i am going to be trying to get will be bars,restaurants,high class kitches,and sliding sash windows. all work that is good quality/high standard.

So for that sort of work you will need:

Large panel saw
dimension saw
400mm thicknesser/planer
Spindle with power feed
Morticer
thickness sander
large bandsaw
RAS
Spray booth, filtration etc
Plumbed in dust extraction (why portable?)
Work benches
Assorted hand power tools

Thats just a very basic list, you also need to work out what size workshop you can afford to rent as this will affect how much room you have for the machines as well as a large assembly area to mock up the bars/kitchens.

Have a look at some of the industrial machinery suppliers such as Scott & sergent to get an idea of costings particularly tooling for the spindle as door/window sets don't come cheap

There are a lot of companies that specialize in just box sash windows so it will be hard to compete with them, though you will have to take in any type of work while you get established.

Jason

how are you going to squeeze all that machinery and a number of people into a smaller than standard garage? Or are you moving to larger workspace as this could have a bearing on what you need.

Back