Newby looking to get into Wood turning with budget up to £650/700

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer

Reaction score
Got about 15 months to retirement, so need a hobby to keep busy & creative, budget for a machine up to 700£, space no problem, got a sizable garage, If you was spending your own hard earned, what would you invest in for the budget mentioned, i know over a period of time add ons will be needed, chuck & tools etc. Obviously opinions vary, just looking for input & any advice would be most welcome, not looking to machine large diameter bowls, i currently work in Mechanical Engineering, my bias is turning, metal obviously, looking to accumulate tooling from work before i go! Yes, i know you cannot compare centre lathe turning to Wood turning, but at least i have the concept and understanding of whats involved, Thanks in advance guys
Regards Neil

I would seek out a club first and foremost. the rest may fall into place. I say this because most woodturning clubs are peopled by guys exactly in your situation. also keen turner's are often upgrading gear. I'm a bit to eclectic to only stick to one thing.

my friend whose a turner and been part of a club(chairman) since he retired(he's 90 this year) says " they only go round" he was an ex roll turner at shelton bar steelworks. interestingly this is done by hand including putting the writing on the rollers that's repeated on the steel I beam.(tricky cos it's backward)

Join your local wood turning society, they usually know of good used equipment for sale.
You can do metal spinning on a wood turning lathe using copper and brass.
Wood working lathes don’t have a saddle so accurate metal work on a wood turning lathe would be difficult.
My friend has used his miford super 7 lathe to do some wood turning, if metal work is your preferred medium.
But if you have not tried wood turning, join a club, they all usually have their own lathes, tools etc. and do tuition with more experienced turners.
It would be an expensive investment, if wood turning is not your thing and you really want to do metal work.

Join your local wood turning society, they usually know of good used equipment for sale.
You can do metal spinning on a wood turning lathe using copper and brass.
Wood working lathes don’t have a saddle so accurate metal work on a wood turning lathe would be difficult.
My friend has used his miford super 7 lathe to do some wood turning, if metal work is your preferred medium.
But if you have not tried wood turning, join a club, they all usually have their own lathes, tools etc. and do tuition with more experienced turners.
It would be an expensive investment, if wood turning is not your thing and you really want to do metal work.
Thanks for the Advice, i have located a local Wood turning club and will be paying them a visit, i have no intention of metal working, will be glad to see the back of Suds oils & Milling machines & most of all the Apprentices i have to teach! I'm in a training environment, dislike the sound of gear crunching & a Tool post running into 4 jaw chucks!

Thanks for the Advice, i have located a local Wood turning club and will be paying them a visit, i have no intention of metal working, will be glad to see the back of Suds oils & Milling machines & most of all the Apprentices i have to teach! I'm in a training environment, dislike the sound of gear crunching & a Tool post running into 4 jaw chucks!
Hi,
when you do buy any gouges I suggest you buy them individually as often in sets there are some you will never use. Buy some quality gouges if possible made of HSS. I suggest, a roughing gauge, small skew, spindle gouge and a parting tool. I’m sure your local woodturning club will put you in the right direction.
regards,
Dave

Back