I just bought something. Can you guess what it is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend had a white one - rather quick, but difficult and uncomfortable on the subsided Somerset roads around the levels. I can't remember which configuration it was, but it had a dodgy microswitch on the headlights: if he was slowing for a zebra crossing he'd flash the lights at a girl to say he'd seen her (and to cross), and it would then pop up just one light again, to "wink" at her. He didn't want to get it fixed!

Enjoy :)

E.

PS: didn't those Marina door handles end up on the first Range Rovers, too?

tsb":3lflzylq said:
I'm spitting my dummy out, I'm sure I said a Lotus first. I had the S2 in the 90's, for a number of years but after driving 300 miles in 2 years I decided to sell it. That was the only car I ever made money on.

Indeed you did, so I give you a virtual half point for the make =D>

doctor Bob":187ay6ca said:
Originally it was planned to make 100 for UK, 100 for USA and 100 for rest of world (Row).
I think in the end they made 134 in total, but typical Lotus, there not quite sure.
At present there are about 40 complete UK ones I believe.
I've been looking for 3-4 years and veiwed half a dozen, this was the best of the lot and at correct money. Few things wrong with it in terms of it been correct but it's close.
They couldn't call it a JPS as sponsership had ended by the time they went on sale so it's officially the "world champion commererative edition", mario andretti being the world champion driver.

Only 40 left? Used to see a few around West London.
What number did you get? Should be a wee plate screwed to the passenger side dash with the production series on it, if I recall correctly.

Noel":27v1xoaz said:
Only 40 left? Used to see a few around West London.
What number did you get? Should be a wee plate screwed to the passenger side dash with the production series on it, if I recall correctly.

Thats the federal model (usa).
The home version has a plaque on the central consol. They all have the individual number on the rear roof quarter.
The uk ones have colin chapmans signature and the usa Mario Andretti.
I better get it in my possession before I give out too much info on it.
It's one of the last of the 95 UK ones.

doctor Bob":2887dhqr said:
clue, it was made in 1979
I'm quite disappointed, actually.
From the colour pallette in the crops, I thought it was a hypersleep chamber from the film Alien... then I saw the ^year and was almost certain!!

whiskywill":n3dv125a said:
Removing that great big lump of black plastic from the front end would improve its looks.

LOL, I thought I was Mr Grumpy, marmite I suppose. Just makes me smile, very tempted to get my flares and tartan on whilst driving..........

Have to say, a classic Elan backed into the parking space next to me in the village this evening - tricky in the dark as it had no reversing lights. It was in pretty good nick, in all-red (sadly not the lovely three-tone Sprint with the gold stripe).

On balance for a practical car, I'd go for one of those over the Esprit, but I like both.

doctor Bob":2mbdtrh0 said:
whiskywill":2mbdtrh0 said:
Removing that great big lump of black plastic from the front end would improve its looks.

LOL, I thought I was Mr Grumpy, marmite I suppose. Just makes me smile, very tempted to get my flares and tartan on whilst driving..........

No! I am Mr Grumpy. My wife will confirm this. She has even bought me three of these mugs so I am not even grumpier when I can't find one.
Mr Grumpy.jpg

Attachments

• Mr Grumpy.jpg
    Mr Grumpy.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 549
Strange coincidence but one has just come up for sale in Chipping Campden, £69k.
As a kid in the 70s used to love the look of the JPS cars.

Tris":2ix81ut7 said:
Strange coincidence but one has just come up for sale in Chipping Campden, £69k.
As a kid in the 70s used to love the look of the JPS cars.

Thats one has been up for sale for a while, it would need to be truely perfect and extremely low milage to get that price. I believe it isn't restored yet, they are just testing the water, at that price they won't get any takers.
I went and saw one for £42k, guy told me it was mint, I drove 300 mile round trip to see it, he opened the garage door and I knew he had wasted my time. Repeat for 3 years.............
I paid less for this one and it's the best I've seen in my search, happy with price and condition.
When it's actually in my garage I'll post up more pictures, it is mint mechanically.

Lovely looking car whose looks are completely destroyed by a 6’ 4” lump trying to get out of it on all fours! I begrudgingly crossed it off of my bucket list.

Hope to see more pics and updates.

Have fun! :D

So after 6 months of owner ship a little update.
Well it passed it's Mot in Feb no bother (last offical one, 40 in August), so got tax and it was road worthy.
After driving for a bit it was obvious something wasn't right with the cooling system. After a lot of tracing faults it was quite simple really a relacement fuse in the relay and a new hot weather thermostat has kept the car running at 90 deg. I also put in a fan override switch so I can manually switch on the fans if sitting in traffic.
The tracking was out, and more worryingly the timing belt was running off centre and rubbing on the engine causing it to wear. My lotus mate took it for 3 weeks and changed the tensioner and belt in situ, and sorted the tracking and replaced the core plugs, should be an engine out jobbie but he knows a few tricks.
Since then it really hasn't missed a beat, apart from headlights failing on me once :shock: still trying to locate that fault, got main beam so I'm half way there :D
I've spent a lot of time working on the paint as it was a bit crappy in places, also tarting up the interior. Looks pretty good now.
Next project is to replace the UV joint on the steering column to get rid of play in the steering. I need to replace the tyres as well at somepoint. They are dated 1996, show tyres really.

HjWisUt.jpg

Q1pF6IA.jpg

ZDKY4BY.jpg

UPWvqad.jpg

Last weekend with my mate Billy, sadly lost him couple of weeks ago.

WJp4i5p.jpg

43LYY65.jpg

BTjpU9k.jpg

ndKEspv.jpg

7oW01BG.jpg

W8FQdk3.jpg

07SGtb1.jpg

Whoever painted those number plates needs sacking mate, not even got the paint to the edges :D

Beautiful car.

Please be careful with the old tyres. I've had an old tyre fail on me doing 70mph on the A13. Not pleasant.

If you see any cracks in the sidewall it's better to change them. But they seem quite good from the photo - probably as it had been stored indoors?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sammy.se":3ey5wjjq said:
Beautiful car.

Please be careful with the old tyres. I've had an old tyre fail on me doing 70mph on the A13. Not pleasant.

If you see any cracks in the sidewall it's better to change them. But they seem quite good from the photo - probably as it had been stored indoors?

When I say 'fail' I mean the side wall blew out, about 3 inches rip, luckily the alloy wheel didn't warp.

Back