I hate shopping at the best of times, but ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Painting the back of the bungalow, we decided the outdoor light needed replacing. Trying desperately at the moment to get rid of some debts and not to spend money, I remembered I had a Post office gift card in my wallet that swmbo had been given a while ago, so I look up where it can be spent. Amazon! Yes, Amazon. I look at about thirty pages out of something like 56,000 and lose the will to live. As I look to see where it can spent, I see a letter sent to the Telegraph complaining that the guy's card had been debited 90p a month for non use so I decide to check that out. Sure enough, after eighteen months they debit it 90p a month. I look at mine and it has £46+ on it ... I go to the P.O. site to check the validity and balance - £31. Hell, this needs using. We're going out ... past B&Poo ... that'll do, can't be arrsed.
We go and look at the lights. There's some stuff on a clearance sale, I see one that was quite nice for a fiver - that'll do I say to swmbo, it's a fiver, if it fails after two or three years, for a fiver I don't care. Nice, she says, are you sure it's a fiver? Well there are ten of them there and the ticket under them says a fiver, the one to the left says a fiver, the one to the right says a fiver, so I think we can assume it's a fiver. Job done - great. Before we go, I decide it would be an idea to get rid of this card, or it will keep losing money - just get some cleaning stuff or batteries or anything we use anyway just to use the card up. I get a set of imperial hex keys that I needed anyway, and use the rest on batteries and a few light bulbs.
We jump in the car. What a bummer, she says, the card was declined so I had to pay cash for a load of stuff we didn't really need. Not the end of the world, the money wasn't spent on anything extravagant.
We get home and unpack. We start to paint. We're using Dulux oil based Weathersheild - wonderful stuff. This like bloody water, swmbo says. She's a good decorator. I start ... yes, it's like water. :roll: There is absolutely no sediment in the can, it took me an age with a flat bottomed stick and a hook on my drill stirring it. I can't take it back as it 's twelve months old and I haven't the receipt.
We stop for tea and look at the receipt. Guess what? The bloody light was £28! I just cannot be bothered to go back to complain, just to be told I should have checked before purchasing - the worst thing being they've caught me like it before.
The only good thing was i was iffing and umming between two sets of keys with £2 between them. I only needed them for one job, but I could do without rubber hex keys. I go for the JCB folding set for the extra £2 - at least I won't lose keys. Looking at them I see they are S2 steel - this a new one to me. An advertising gimmick? No, it turns out to be the best steel alloy for hex keys.

That's umm, quite a day you had. Shame I didn't read this about 4 hours ago as I've just ordered something from amazon for £29 - I would have suggested you use the card and I send you the cash.

As for the cost of the light - you've got 14 days to do something about that, but maybe take a photo with your phone of the shelf it was located as that sounds like an iffy marketing ploy to me.

You must really have had an off day Phil, I would never hand money over to B&Q, or many others for that matter without checking the prices.
I always mentally add up the items as I pick them up so I know roughly what I'm about to pay and any mistakes are "obvious".

I hate shopping as well btw, unless for tools of course. :wink:

Bob

The outcome.
Barb rings them up to find out why the card had been refused, when we had only hour before been told there was £31+ on it. Oh, the woman says, that's because it's out of date. The new cards have expiry dates. So why were we told there was money on it? says Barb. Oh that was just a mix up somewhere - don't worry, we'll send you a replacement.
Sure enough, a card turns up ... with £50 on it. You'd better check that, Barb says. Yes, it's got £50 on it. What's the time limit before they dock money from it? Eighteen months. That's OK, she says - it's not going to last eighteen hours. :D
So, much as I disagree with their set up, fair play to them.

Interesting - I just found this on a PO site while searching something else -
"There's no rush to use it as your One4all Gift Card will remain valid for as long as there's money on it. Expiry dates may apply depending on purchase date. Fees and charges may apply."

They obviously don't employ anyone sufficiently literate to notice the the second sentence contradicts the first ... :lol:

Well good outcome anyway, and nice to see they just sent out a full card rather than be miserly and set it for £31 despite the rest being taken by their "fees".

Back