HVLP Spraying for MDF/ Decorating built in storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpinist

Reaction score
I work as a carpenter/renovator and often make built in storage or fit kitchens and bathrooms. One recent job specified Farrow and ball eggshell, which took inumerable coats, otherwise I tend to go with two water based primer/undercoats and two oil based finish coats.

Any ideas on an easy to use spray system? The apollo Spraymate for example? Plus which water or oil based paints easier to use/most effective? I tend to use Dulux Trade Oil based Satinwood if asked. Thanks in advance.

Alpi,

The problem you are having is that F & B paint is rubbish 8) Thinning any oil based paint suitable for spraying it counter productive as you will need more coats to give an exceptable finish.

I use Dulux eggshell for painted stuff but it is never sprayed, although I have tried it .......It is the most messy paint you could spray as well as having a health issue. Dulux do not recommend spraying for a reason.

To spray furniture you would be better off looking at the Morrells range of AC or pre-cat finishes which can be made in any colour, either way you will need a dedicated area for finishing. This stuff dries in no time where the oil bases paint takes 16 hours.

I have now knowledge of the Apollo spraymate but I do have two Apollo 700's which are excellent, The most important thing with a spray system is the gun and the Spraymate gun is nothing like the Apollo 700 or the current models.

CNC Paul":1elzbpcf said:
Alpi,

The problem you are having is that F & B paint is rubbish 8) ...

i could not disagree with you more! F&B produce far superior paint to the watered down muck that Dulux supply.

To the OP, spraying F&B is quite tricky..you don't say what type of F&B paint you are using, Estate Emulsion etc. You will find that their tech department is very helpful.

I had some windows sprayed up for me by someone using a very thin paint that dried very quickly and evenly and you could build up several coats over a very short time but for the life of me can't remember the type. Began with a T ..will try and dig out the info.

But to re-iterate...avoid Dulux!

RogerS":2z1r1phn said:
CNC Paul":2z1r1phn said:
Alpi,

The problem you are having is that F & B paint is rubbish 8) ...

i could not disagree with you more! F&B produce far superior paint to the watered down muck that Dulux supply.

But to re-iterate...avoid Dulux!

Roger,

That is unusal, every decorator I have work with do not like F&B eggshell.

I have heard that Dulux from B&Q is not the same as paint from a professional decorators merchants.

I use automotive paints on my MDF pieces using an auto motive spraygun. However I also have a bosch spray system which works well with household paints etc.
Some paints work better than others and you have to get the viscosity correct. Some guns are more fussy than others about viscosity.
Don't forget that household paints are meant ot go on thicker than automotive so if you are applying thin coats you may need more coats to cover well. You need one with a high pigment ratio, cheapo paints will be like spraying water.

I've had different results with F&B; their Estate Emulsions are excellent in my experience - covers well, stable, low metamerism - but the eggshell's a different matter altogether; thin, covers badly and dries patchy. If customers insist on it I always allow for four coats minimum.

As for spraying, I've used Dulux water-based eggshell in an Earlex HVLP sprayer; worked well, but was incredibly messy - you really need to have a separate spray booth/room if you're going to do it regularly, I think, and I wouldn't attempt to spray oil-based paints without one.

I think a few others here also have the Earlex, and have probably used it more than me - I'm sure they'll be along to chip in ;)

HTH, Pete

I have sprayed Dulux, F&B, Fired Earth and own brand products e.g. Brewers paints through an Ealex HVLP system without problems. On balance better quality paints spray better and produce a better finish. So it comes down to the detail of what your trying to achieve and what materials you are spraying. F&B for example seem to me to have higher quantity of pigment that, when thinned to a spraying working standard, gives a better finish.

But don't expect F&B or the other posh paints to be able to cut corners. The benefit is may be 20%. I bet you will still spay the same number of coats for example.

For spaying I like F&B for that reason. Or at least I dont dislike it!

There may have been in the past some percuniary advantage for painter decorators to not like F&B, but I think that has gone now. That said I am not a painter decorator and would not know anything about spreading these paints over a wall! :) To them great respect!

Back to the original question. Earlex HV5000 system has been a great starting point for me. Its relatively cheap (in-expensive) and you can get different needle sizes. Its also fairly portable so I would start there.

I'd second or is it third comments on the Earlex HVLP system. I've the 5000 spray Station, it's cheap, simple to use and the results are very passable.
Good luck,
T

Thanks for the replies, the Earlex sounds good. Would this work, for example spraying an in situ mdf shelving unit? Do you need a respirator to go with it?

I think you'd have to be careful spraying in situ, even with HVLP you'll still get some overspray. I have done it, though I wasn't using the Earlex system then, don't know the make but it was an employers v expensive system and we had to mask everything, really every inch and even then there were a few drips/overspray to clean up.
Definitely get a decent respirator.
My feeling is that unless it's a really big area that needs painting it in situ, you're probably better off with a brush or a roller. if you can do units before they're installed then a spayer works great.
HTH
T

Latest posts

Back