how to make the spiral staircase from Grand Designs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opener, did you build the staircase ? or did you just find this link on the net ?

If you did build it, great job , I would love to have a go at something like that I imagine the handrail was the hardest bit.

I saw the episode the other week. It was all made using CNC equipment.
Going from the amounts they spent on the other parts of the house it probably cost a small fortune.

on the programme they showed the parts being machined up from sheetgoods using a Wadkin cnc router. Incidentally, near the end of the programme we were told that there was "some problem" with the staircase, which was resolved by having a different tradesman finish the job. Can anyone in the know tell us what the problems were with the final assembly and fitting (or was it just a stroppy client - we've all met those sometimes haven't we) ? They didn;t give us any details on the programme.
regards, Catface.

I did notice there were no bullnose or softened edges to the treads on the skeleton framed plywood staircase, also the screws on the back were showing...it would have looked better if they were pelleted, unless that was a design feature.

I think you have the wrong staircase guys, the cnc built one was this week, the one that OPENER has posted about was the week before where the farmer built a house on his farmland.

The spiral staircase in the piicys was made mainly by hand using bendy ply,and laminating it.Some of it had kerfs cut in the back to help.
I believe the maker was a boat builder :?
The last episode,the staircase was made using CNC machine as the original joiner had difficulties doing it.

chippy1970":vzkr48hg said:
I think you have the wrong staircase guys, the cnc built one was this week, the one that OPENER has posted about was the week before where the farmer built a house on his farmland.

This is the one on this week's programme;

http://www.joemellowsfurniture.co.uk/My ... rcase.html

They are both absolutely stunning IMO. Outside my normal area of work but I would love to have a go at something like this!

I'd better get to grips with Sketchup first though methinks!

Cheers
Duncan

If my memory is correct, the one shown in the OP cost the customer £40k. Took 4 months to build.

Cheers

Karl

karl":xmwjv9cv said:
If my memory is correct, the one shown in the OP cost the customer £40k. Took 4 months to build.

Cheers

Karl

If you get an enquiry for one of those Karl, give me a shout.

I don't mind splitting 40 grand for a couple of months work. You can work it all out, though!

:wink:

Cheers
Duncan

Have to Admit it is a very impressive job :D

But is it just me or is Grand Designs showing more people with loads of money rather than before where they also showed you normal people like you and me who can't spend 1 million odd on a build.
Still enjoy the show but miss seeing what can be done on a tight budget.

Martin

gatesmr2":i1a3z725 said:

But is it just me or is Grand Designs showing more people with loads of money rather than before where they also showed you normal people like you and me who can't spend 1 million odd on a build.

Martin

Of the latest series, I have only seen the one in which the staircase featured. That smacked to me of a couple just throwing money at a project. Their budget at the outset was £600k (no land costs - farmer), whereas the type of build they were constructing you would have expected a budget of circa £300k based on previous shows.

Duncan - if I ever get an enquiry, i'll know where to go......don't plan an early retirement just yet though. :lol:

Cheers

Karl

gatesmr2":3gn105yp said:

Martin

You beat me to it, Martin. SWMBO made a similar observation. So far this series, money has not ever seemed to be that much of a problem.

Karl,

I remember £40 k too. A brilliant job and well done by Mathew, shame his full name is not on the Picasa website but he is Matt Somerville and his website is http://www.workingwood.net/.

I hesitate to say this and obviously no criticism of Matt but IMHO I would have liked to have seen it (the one piece strings and balustrades) in a clear finished veneer rather than plastered and painted as with the paint finish the structure could have been anything. However, I guess that would have made it even more expensive and maybe looked too busy? What do you guys think?

As it is the wreathed wooden handrail and the stair treads and risers do look very good against the white paint which flows into the landing guarding.

The Channel 4 Grand Designs information for this episode starts at this address: http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/gr ... 4_p_1.html

Regards

Graham

Back