Saw for cutting 5mm mild steel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am about to shape some mild steel and need recommendations for the best electric tool for the job. I was looking at scroll saws because they can cut intricate shapes, (particularly rounded) but I don't know whether that's the best tool for the job?

I don't want to be using a hacksaw and cutting by hand manually. Also not bothered if someone has something used if it's going to do the job.

Thanks.

Depends what you want to spend, a plasma cutter will cut steel pretty well

I suppose it depends how accurately you want and how big a sheet

A thin cutting disc in an angle grinder will cut 5mm steel, but not curves

I would think a scroll saw would be hard work in 5mm, and very slow. I have recently modified an old Clark bandsaw for metal cutting. Substituted the original motor for a 12v DC one with a 9:1 reduction gear intended for a bicycle. So with a variable speed control on it I can get between 0.5 and 3 m/s blade speed, as opposed to its original 15 m/s. 1/4 inch M42 blade from Tuffsaws and it works a treat. I mostly use it for thin sheet in brass, aluminium and steel. I used to use a metal blade in my Kity, but could only easily get it to about 1/3 speed, still much too fast for anything other than really thin stuff. You can get a purpose built metal cutting bandsaw, but tend to be pricey and often 3 phase. For 5mm you will also need to use a lubricant/coolant if you want your blades to last. As Phil says really depends how many you need to do, how intricate the shape etc. Might be worth finding a local company with a CNC machine who could do them for you. Double Boost has done a video on this, which shows what a proper machine is capable of.

As above, it is difficult to say. Please post a picture or drawing of what you want to make, or of something with similar size, shape and intricacy. Make sure the size/scale of it is obvious (50mm square or 500mm square).

External curves can be done with different tools to internal curves. Sharp internal corners are the most difficult to do.

There is a difference between cutting something and shaping something. Another way of saying this is that you may need two tools, one for bulk material removal, to rough out the outline of the object and another for deleting any remaining material up to the finished size.

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping to cut quite fine internal angles. I want to avoid plasma cutters as I hate having to use bottles of gas.

I have angle grinders which work well on straight cuts on thick material, a sliding saw suitable for cutting thick metal and a jigsaw suitable for cutting thinner metal. I liked the idea of having control over a small sized blade, like those used in wooden jigsaws but was hoping for something powerful enough for thick metal plate.

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping to cut quite fine internal angles. I want to avoid plasma cutters as I hate having to use bottles of gas.

I have angle grinders which work well on straight cuts on thick material, a sliding saw suitable for cutting thick metal and a jigsaw suitable for cutting thinner metal. I liked the idea of having control over a small sized blade, like those used in wooden jigsaws but was hoping for something powerful enough for thick metal plate.
Plasma cutters use air small compressor will run it and there are some all in one but limited cutting.
Jigsaws are not great for steel cutting apart from tin as the often will drop the blade as a lot of stress on the T part.
5" or better still a 7" grinder with a 1mm disc can also get in .80mm.
Ive a steel cut off saw tungsten carbide blade like red hot knife through melted butter! can mitre cut also with it!.
Thinking of selling all my welding kit off soon?

Three people have essentially asked you to describe your application. If you give a clear, detailed answer to their questions you'll get the best advice.
Just sayin' ...

Vertical metal cutting bandsaw is going to be best bet, I have a startrite that works very well with the suitable size blade from tuffsaws
A linisher with different sized contact wheels can then be used to clean the edges back.

If you’re doing a lot and they are intricate then I’d be sending an svg to a water cutter

Agree with the above - a decent scroll saw (with the RIGHT blade) will do the job, but unless you have only a little one-off job, it's going to take a LONG time! Don't know about a plasma cutter (cost?) but a bandsaw (again the RIGHT blade) would be my go to.

Also agree with the above comment: Without some idea of the actual job (size/s, quantity/s, etc) as has already been requested but not answered, we're all working in the dark. If you can't do a sketch how about a photo?

Like all the above, we're TRYING to help you.

there is quite a difference between cutting a piece 100mm x 100mm square to cutting one 2 metres by 2 metres

if you could give us a little bit more of clue....:)

Back