Mild Steel Angle Iron and Brass Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! Sorry Tom, I quoted the wrong response 🤦🏻‍… it was someone else wanting to do stainless screws.

Even if you put a barrier between the screw head and the steel, the actual threads of the screw would still be in tight contact. I don't see what you could do to prevent it.

[/QUOTE]
Even if you put a barrier between the screw head and the steel, the actual threads of the screw would still be in tight contact. I don't see what you could do to prevent it.

My earlier comments about the likelihood of galvanic corrosion, in this context, not withstanding, this need not be the case.

The steel is being attached to wood, so a clearance hole can be used, meaning the only contact is between the head and the countersink.

If this is in a dry enviroment then I would not worry about galvanic corrosion, if in a marine enviroment then change the design. When I used stainless fittings in aluminium I just used flanged nylon bushes to keep the two apart, if you were not using Csk screws it could be an option if really needed.

https://www.vital-parts.co.uk/flang...MIsvGJ6eiA_gIVEo9oCR1jPQx8EAYYAiABEgKWZvD_BwE
If you really want separation and are willing to pay then look at these, often used in electrical control panal fabrication.

https://www.accu.co.uk/countersunk-...MI5q7XnOmA_gIVBJBoCR0xYQqxEAYYASABEgLzOvD_BwE

No they wouldn’t. The further apart the materials are in the galvanic series, the more readily they will form a corrosion cell. Brass is actually fairly close to mild steel, and so as long as there is no electrolyte (eg salt water), there’s unlikely to be a problem with those.
That's true. I like your answer.

That's true. I like your answer.
As Phill05 wrote, in pipeline construction, the insulation kits have the same principle when you have a dissimilar materials bolted flanges connection.

Back