Birchply Handrail for staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbobo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I made this staircase handrail from Birchply. It went well and was a fun project although I did cock up a bit with the connection of the last spindle onto the existing staircase so had to make a newel post to ensure the whole thing was sturdy.

The idea for the angled dado joint was from a bench Paul Sellers made where he layered plywood to create strong joints. I'm happy with how that bit of it came out.

There is a video on YouTube of the whole build in case you might be interested.

Attachments

• IMG_8472.jpg
    IMG_8472.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8092.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8142.jpg
    IMG_8142.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Russian blue inspecting russian ply?

It looks smart that.

Far smarter than the manky ply handle I fashioned for my vice.

Russian blue inspecting russian ply?

It looks smart that.

Far smarter than the manky ply handle I fashioned for my vice.
Haha! Well spotted on the cat Josh!.

Thanks. I caught a fair bit of flack for a couple of things on this video elsewhere, some more valid than others.
  1. Using a boat level - I think this is is unnecessarily ortodox but understand why you'd use a longer level for say construction timber that might not be perfectly straight.
  2. The last spindle being fixed directly to the newel - fair point. Having it equally spaced does look better.
  3. The newel being fixed in only from the top rather than removing the whole stump - I think this is a preference, not a absolute but keen to hear what experienced carpenters think.
  4. Flack for the Japenese handsaw - It was called a spatula and a butchers saw and everything in between :ROFLMAO:

Back