How to finish Howdens oak internal door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of these Howden doors oak veneer doors. I intened to do the most minimal I could to treat the wood like maybe wax them. 1 door has been fittted for a while with no treatment and I notice oils starting to mark the door where my wife uses the wood rather than handle to open/close it. Lots of skin care products (dont ask)
I just noticed the wrapper on the unfitted door says no wax, oils or dyes etc. Ideas please, cheaper the better.

howden door.jpg

door type.jpg

I bought a pair of these Howden doors oak veneer doors. I intened to do the most minimal I could to treat the wood like maybe wax them. 1 door has been fittted for a while with no treatment and I notice oils starting to mark the door where my wife uses the wood rather than handle to open/close it. Lots of skin care products (dont ask)
I just noticed the wrapper on the unfitted door says no wax, oils or dyes etc. Ideas please, cheaper the better.

View attachment 146259

View attachment 146258
Hello, they would look nice French polished, very similar to wax, very easy to do, or button polish.
regards

I would think the manufacurers are covering their backsides! No doubt it is a thin oak veneer on a chipborad core. I would use a satin water based varnish then lightly de-nib with a fine "Scotchbrite" pad (the type sold for sanding rather than cleaning pots and pans) and then wax. Do not allow wire wool near oak as the steel reacts with the tanin in oak and will leave black spots.

I would think the manufacurers are covering their backsides! No doubt it is a thin oak veneer on a chipborad core. I would use a satin water based varnish then lightly de-nib with a fine "Scotchbrite" pad (the type sold for sanding rather than cleaning pots and pans) and then wax. Do not allow wire wool near oak as the steel reacts with the tanin in oak and will leave black spots.
I would think it if at all thick.

Hello
A good satin polyurethane varnish would do the job. Stay clear of water based products,
Regards

Thanks for the replies, if it were not for the fingermarks I would have liked to leave it as bare wood, I suppose the wife could go and keep the doors ;)
I think I will try button or french polish on a spare bit of oak and see how I get on. I do have some satin polyurethane varnish as a last resort.
I do hope the polishes dont lift the veneer.

I recently fitted 17 oak veneered doors in my house (not from Howdens but likely to be very similar) and finished them in the Osmo product recommended above. After lightly rubbing down the doors, I applied 2 thin coats of Osmo with a fine bristled brush in a dust free environment with the doors lying horizontally (supported on the glass panes) and they look excellent without any further rubbing down, polishing etc..

Thanks for the replies, if it were not for the fingermarks I would have liked to leave it as bare wood, I suppose the wife could go and keep the doors ;)
I think I will try button or french polish on a spare bit of oak and see how I get on. I do have some satin polyurethane varnish as a last resort.
I do hope the polishes dont lift the veneer.
Well done, linseed oil is something else to try, you would just apply a light coat with a rag and wipe off any excess. It only costs £3 for a bottle compared to £30 for the Osmo product mentioned before. The cricketers have been applying it to their bats for centuries!
Regards

Well done, linseed oil is something else to try, you would just apply a light coat with a rag and wipe off any excess. It only costs £3 for a bottle compared to £30 for the Osmo product mentioned before. The cricketers have been applying it to their bats for centuries!
Regards
It needs sunshine to catalyse, it can take a very long time to dry in Winter internally. Boiled Linseed Oil has drying agents.

Back