Help saving an oak veneered front door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local builder's merchant issues their own disclaimer on these veneered "external" doors - haven't got one in front of me but says something like they can't issue any sort of warranty if the door isn't installed within a porch or under a canopy.......

Sounds like a get out of jail card, surely then the door can’t be advertised as external. I gave up fitting external doors for family and friends for this same reason. Such a shame when manufacturers hide behind small print after they’ve taken your hard earned . Truly disgusted 😟😟😟

A finishes supplier told me never to use oil or solvent based finishes on veneer as it will delaminate, then another, who sold Osmo UV, told me it would be fine - so I did and it failed. I can't say for certain it was the Osmo, or the veneer or a combination of both but I've little to lose in trying to repair it.

I bought an XL 'oak' door many years ago, what a piece of rubbish.
Failed visually within 8 weeks despite being treated as per recommendations, XL refused any warranty claim and said it needed to be protected by a porch.

From their website.

GavinC-144
23 Nov 2019

XL Joinery, what a joke.​

Don't buy internal doors from XL Joinery, the quality is really poor and the aftercare service is even worse. I bought 21 internal doors and over a year 15 have warped, XL are not interested as the doors were not painted behind the hinges!
DO NOT BUY DOORS FROM XL JOINERY

20 - 1star reviws, no option for 0 stars.

https://www.yell.com/biz/x-l-joinery-batley-3315892/
Though many other review sites give glowing ratings (supplied by their workforce ?)
Yeah I put a bad honest review of them on Trustpilot after they'd bluntly refused to help, only for them to then respond on the site implying they would help and to contact them again. Surprise surprise when I did they just refused again but Trustpilot doesn't facilitate you being able to update a review thread so I'm sure they did it to make themselves look like a reasonable company. :rolleyes:

Back