Cleaning oiled oak kitchen...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So

15 years ago we installed a Shaker-style solid oak kitchen - the doors/draw fronts are all Danish Oiled...

About 7 years ago i cleaned the doors etc and re-oiled lightly. They are always wiped down anyway as part of general cleaning...

But now I've noticed that they are getting a bit grubby round the handles and door edges. We also have oak bannisters that have the same grubby marks... (if you look closely)

What's the best way if thoroughly cleaning this wood to remove the greasy hand marks and what would be a better finish than light Danish Oil?

Ta

My 'big book of such things' - Better than New from the eponymous BBC series over 40 years ago - suggests 80% white spirit, 20% linseed oil and a cloth pad. As you know its already treated with Danish oil I'm sure a white spirit/danish oil mix would work just as well. Then let it dry well and recoat with oil. I have cleaned things that way before, takes a bit of effort but low risk of damage.

Back