how the heck do i regrind this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
just dropped my blespruce marking knife off my bench :x
typical butter side down moment cause it landed right on the point and bust it completely off
How the heck can i regrind this? can the blade be removed? it does not seem so

2929644626_01853b7411.jpg

what about holding it in the vice somehow and bringing a sharpening stone to it? Tho I think the grinder is the best option. You should be able to improvise a jig to hold it in the correct orientation.

Ouch! Looks from the way the light is reflecting on the end that it has bent the tip back a bit as well. You will have to try and flatten it before you regrind.

Drop a message to Dave J, he might be able to help...

Cheers

Mark

Knocked it off the bench? Good grief man, you weren't actually using it surely :shock:

I thought at those prices they were only ever intended for display cabinets. :lol:

I think I'd use my Tormek and just hand hold it, would be worth a practise on something worth less if you're not confident of exactly how that might go though!

Cheers, Ed

Having made a few of these recently...with great difficulty :) Ed's suggestion is the one to go for, but carefully - Rob

Tom,
I received your email but thought I would respond here. Some time ago I dropped my marking knife and as it headed for the concrete floor I instinctively (or desperately) reached my foot out to break the fall and soften the blow. Of course it was my luck it was going point down and it went right through the top of my soft mesh tennis shoes and stuck me in the foot. As I pulled my foot quickly back it flipped out and landed on the point anyway! After inspecting the damage to both foot and knife I proceeded to ponder how to fix the knife. I ended up making a little honing jig that was an angled vee groove in a block of wood. The knife nestled into the vee and you could rotate the knife to match the honing angle. I used sandpaper on glass and just honed the bottom of the wood also. I do not remember what the exact angle was but carefully hold the bevel to a flat surface and measure the angle with a small sliding bevel. If you are feeling confident and have a steady hand, you can just free hand it on a Tormek or similar flat platter system. I free hand hone mine all the time but edge restoration is a bit tougher. Another option is to send it to me and I will fix it for you.

djgaloot":3fmdxgfg said:
instinctively (or desperately) reached my foot out to break the fall.

Going OT, but I did that once a to much more serious result. I was unpacking my brand new magimix food processor on Boxing Day morning, I yanked at the packaging and up popped one of the small rotary blades, it flew up and over the box and headed towards the floor. Out when my BARE foot (you all knew I was an silly person, right?). It landed just above the joint of my toes and stopped when it got through a couple of mm of bone :shock: I didn't go to hospital but I have a rather amusing scar. :wink: :roll:

Sorry for hijacking the thread TOMBO... but I have """nearly""" the ultimate in dumb moves on offer.

Yep... I spent a long time sharpening the (SUBSTANTIAL) blade of my LN Low Angle Jack Plane... boy, was it sharp... and straight... an excellent job.

It was a warm Summers afternoon... sitting outside on the terrace... BAREFOOT! Another cup of tea... ahh... life is good!

Ok... done... picked up the plane and started to walk to workshop... BUT... I had omitted to clamp down the blade in the plane!

The blade slid gracefully out of the plane... and landed vertically... on the stone tiles... no more than 2cm from my toes!

Eeeh... I am sure... yes, sure... that it would have taken most of the front of my foot off!

NEVER AGAIN!

-gerard-... who has in-betweentimes had a titanium hip inserted in same leg!

wizer":38c4spc5 said:
djgaloot":38c4spc5 said:
instinctively (or desperately) reached my foot out to break the fall.

Going OT, but I did that once a to much more serious result. I was unpacking my brand new magimix food processor on Boxing Day morning, I yanked at the packaging and up popped one of the small rotary blades, it flew up and over the box and headed towards the floor. Out when my BARE foot (you all knew I was an silly person, right?). It landed just above the joint of my toes and stopped when it got through a couple of mm of bone :shock: I didn't go to hospital but I have a rather amusing scar. :wink: :roll:

WiZeR I'm worried that you might be a little accident prone, have you had many others?

lots and lots and lots, OD. I'm not even joking. I was just born unlucky. Tho, it was my brother who was born on Friday the 13th.

Perhaps marking out knife design should be changed so that the opposite end to the blade is heavier so that it falls blunt end first. My fountain pen is like this, when you put the lid on the non business end it falls that way.
Simon

I grind mine free hand on my Norton Blue stone grinder (with shop made wooden guide rest).
I have started making my knives Vesper style to prevent rolling off and I always wear leather steel toe capped shoes!

Ebony one made from Stanley knife bade - since "upgraded" to gauge plate.

vtypeknives2kx1.jpg

Process made much easier with new toy!

unimatknives1nw4.jpg

Rod

Thanks guys for the responses, my immediate reaction used always to be to stick my foot out to stop things falling, till a mishap with a stanley knife taught me otherwise

i'll have a crack honing it by hand somehow, unless someone in the merseyside area has tormek i can use for a few minutes perhaps :roll:

How to regrind the knife?

My method is similar to Dave's in that I use a jig. Below is an old method (using a belt sander - now I use the Tormek), but the only one I have pictures for.

First you need to set the depth of cut (to obtain the bevel angle) and the skew angle (for the degree of "pointiness"). Make a jig that allows you to flip lkeft and right equally.

4jig2.jpg

Use a belt sander or a grinder such as the Tormek.

5grinding1.jpg

Markingknife-OliveandJarrah1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

derek,

i had similar ideas to your though not a sophisticated. In your case you are able to remove the blade to get a good result which i dont think is possible without damage on this knife. Unless you know better?

Tom

Tom

The jig I posted was used to grind a long blade (I do them double length and grind each end). The principle is the same - just make your jig very small. Dave suggested a wooden block with a groove to register the blade. That sound simple to do. My jig is just to help you visualise how it may be done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

And the lesson my fellow woodworkers? Spend some money and lay chipboard 'loft boards' on your workshop floor - what the heck are you guys with your expensive tools doing standing on concrete and working with soft shoes anyway #-o

Back