how square is square on a worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at this new worktop i have its looking alot less nose on it than what ive been used to. The worktop is 600mm and there is a small curve at the top however this is in no was like the worktops ive cut years ago. Ive phoned a carpenter i know, and hes mentioned it might be a squared face worktop. I did forget to ask him how square would a square worktop be though :(. Would i still be able to cut this with my worktop jig if its a squared worktop instead of the rounded one.

If its a square edge then the ones I have seen are dead square, they're that square that normally there is no need for a worktop jig you just butt joint them. I don't see a problem with using a worktop jig mind but if its true square edge then there is not much need really.

Matt

Using the jig in the way you are familiar with will still result in a correct joint if the radius of the edge is smaller than what the jig is designed for. If the radius is bigger, then that is a different story.

A lot of modern worktops have a much smaller radius on the top edge. You can get worktop jigs to suit the smaller radius which a lot of fitters seem to prefer, but you can still use a jig designed for the larger radius.

Here is the worktop. Didnt really want to cut it untill next weekend after i know what type it is. As said in the OP, they werent like this when ive used the kitchen jig them years ago

edit22.jpg

oh.jpg

Attachments

• oh.jpg
    oh.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 104
  • edit..jpg
    edit..jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 104
  • edit22.jpg
    edit22.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 104
That looks like a normal worktop.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":1h4wp1k9 said:
That looks like a normal worktop.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

the ones ive did before had more of a round on it

As I said earlier, your usual jig will work fine.
Really!

If it's any consolation, I was in B&Q today, hoping (forlornly) that they had a new display, and one of the worktops was mitred in by what must have been close to 40 or 50 mm. I've never seen a joint like it. Very neat, but very deep indeed.

Steve Maskery":f370jv0e said:
As I said earlier, your usual jig will work fine.
Really!

If it's any consolation, I was in B&Q today, hoping (forlornly) that they had a new display, and one of the worktops was mitred in by what must have been close to 40 or 50 mm. I've never seen a joint like it. Very neat, but very deep indeed.

i was thinking maybe that few mm difference would have thrown me out. Tank you for clearing that up. so even if it was totally sq, the jig would have still cut it normal.

As Coley stated, that profile looks pretty much normal by today's standard of worktop.

It certainly wouldn't be classified as "Square Edged".....

As Steve said, your standard worktop jig will work fine on that profile of worktop.

This is the jig that most fitters I know are now using. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p49232 ... R5EALw_wcB
It has the advantage of being able to cut 2 different depth joints (10mm and the standard 23mm joint)
The 10mm joint looks SO MUCH better on the more modern profile worktops.

Normal these days but often they are described as square edge even though they have a radius. Yes a standard jig will work fine and I fitted exactly that type 2 weeks ago for my sister, they bought on line and were sold as square edge.

I would guess the ones Steve saw on display was probably the result of a couple of mistakes first. Many more and it would be a VERY deep joint. #-o

Lons":37r6wcuh said:
Normal these days but often they are described as square edge even though they have a radius. . #-o

Well,...If I sold square edged worktops to one of my customers and turned up with worktops as per the OP's pictures, I would have a big problem,.......and rightly so!!

This is a Square Edged Laminate worktop.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WilsonArt-Te ... 0677.m4598

Distinterior":3m9bt0ko said:
Lons":3m9bt0ko said:
Normal these days but often they are described as square edge even though they have a radius. . #-o

Well,...If I sold square edged worktops to one of my customers and turned up with worktops as per the OP's pictures, I would have a big problem,.......and rightly so!!

This is a Square Edged Laminate worktop.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WilsonArt-Te ... 0677.m4598
I absolutely agree and if I were still in business I wouldn't either but I've seen them and as I said, my sister bought some 2 weeks ago and I've seen them advertised. I'll see if I can remember where.

Bob

Back