How Not to Make a Japanese Tool Box!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RossJarvis":37eci4xx said:
Must admit, it’s getting a bit heavy now, not sure if I’ll be able to pick it up with tools in it, but we can’t have everything can we?

You could always put wheels on it :-k :lol:

Looking good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

RossJarvis":2p95hqs9 said:
Paul Chapman":2p95hqs9 said:

Don't think I haven't thought of that, the other option is four wagon wheels and a harness for the "apprentice" :D
My 'pprentices eat wagon wheels

How about lots of little legs ? :wink:

dm65":2nuhkas0 said:
RossJarvis":2nuhkas0 said:
Paul Chapman":2nuhkas0 said:

Don't think I haven't thought of that, the other option is four wagon wheels and a harness for the "apprentice" :D
My 'pprentices eat wagon wheels

How about lots of little legs ? :wink:

:D :D :D

I've emailed Rincewind and I'm rather hoping that lots of little legs will appear quite soon, hopefully the box will be able to store all my tools, clothing for a long trip abroad and eat anyone who displeases me (I can think of several at my place of employment now! :twisted: :twisted: ). Next thing I need to do is work out how to attach it to the motorbike :shock:

Hennyway, a few days ago this appeared in the hallway;

I believe it is some form of sisal twine. Somehow SWMBO had been prescient and realised I’d need some form of handles for the toolbox and provided the aforementioned. I had been thinking of various clever ways of making a handle for the chisel tray, toying with articulated ebony swivels, self-locking iron handles, specially routed lengths of pine etc. etc. etc. But the obvious and most simple solution was;

….braided twine. Simple, minimalist, natural, ecologically friendly, vegan and carbon neutral(ish). So braid, braid, braid and;

two tray handles, to match;

…two box handles.

Strangely enough the beloved came home this evening, obviously having had a brain-storm and forgetting her original revelation to say “Have you seen the string I got for work? What’s that, what are you doing with my string!!!”

Is that bowl catching a drip from the radiator or is it the dog's? ....or both? :lol: The box is looking good now, let's see some tools in it!

Grayorm":1bi8wql1 said:
Is that bowl catching a drip from the radiator or is it the dog's? ....or both? :lol: The box is looking good now, let's see some tools in it!

Cheers Grayorm :D

Interesting you should spot that! The bowl does belong to the "apprentice's" aunty. She noses it around searching drips here and searching them there. I bashed that valve with the vacuum a few Christmas eves ago #-o :cry: and had to replace it and reconnect it with a combination of four soldered elbows. Had to drain and refill the entire system 3 times before I stopped the flipping leak! Anything to not have to pay a plumber Christmas rates!

The tools will be moving in hopefully very soon, but I want to put in a few dividers and so on, to tidy it all up and stop stuff rolling around.

Random Orbital Bob":39nx6hnv said:
Shouldn't it have one large over riding handle (wooden) that follows its length, central and curved, so you can pick it up single handed?

That had been somewhere in the original plan, however I changed my mind, thinking that additional string linking the two end handles would do the same job, be lighter and was easier to do during heavy rain. Additionally there's no clearance between the sides of the box and the lid, giving less than 2 inches to get your hand in. I had thought of a swivelling handle, but gave up due to the ease of working and flexibility of string!

RossJarvis":7z7bn2m0 said:
Random Orbital Bob":7z7bn2m0 said:
Shouldn't it have one large over riding handle (wooden) that follows its length, central and curved, so you can pick it up single handed?

That had been somewhere in the original plan, however I changed my mind, thinking that additional string linking the two end handles would do the same job, be lighter and was easier to do during heavy rain. Additionally there's no clearance between the sides of the box and the lid, giving less than 2 inches to get your hand in. I had thought of a swivelling handle, but gave up due to the ease of working and flexibility of string!

If you're going to go down the long string right across route thread some 22mm pipe (pref plastic) on for a grip or the string will hurt if you carry any weight......There see how I think of you.

Grayorm":9kj3yn2z said:
If you're going to go down the long string right across route thread some 22mm pipe (pref plastic) on for a grip or the string will hurt if you carry any weight......There see how I think of you.

:D Thanks Grayorm, it's nice to know someone cares.

Now that is a good idea =D> It had crossed my mind that the string handle may hurt and I'd unsuccessfully wracked the old noggin for some sort of protector. I think from now on I shall let you do the thinking for me :idea: It'd save a fortune in tea and Hob-nobs!

Well then, crumbs. Somehow, without really thinking about it, I seem to have finished. Not sure how that happened but I’ll not complain. First of all I bashed some pins into some odd bits and quadrant to make a divider for the saws and little wotsits to hold the planes in place;

Then I realised I could start putting things in it;

..a couple of planes;

…6 saws and;

..before I knew it I was bunging all sorts of stuff in. Then I bashed a bit of quadrant and a bit of scrap in the tray to keep the chisels in one place and;

…lookee here, a double decker “more room up top, move along the bus please!”. Finally here’s a shot with all the tools used;

The battery drill and anything to the right are luxuries which weren’t really essential, plus I could have got away with using only one plane, so you don’t really need all that many tools.

Thanks for watching and all the support. I’m thinking of getting the two bits of rough cut oak out for the next project. Might chat again.

Proper job that - holds tools and everything

As a final touch, I think you should paint, burn, scratch or crayon the following on your box - 荷物

Translates to 'the luggage' according to google (but you might not want to get it tattooed

dm65":1f846nob said:
Proper job that - holds tools and everything

As a final touch, I think you should paint, burn, scratch or crayon the following on your box - 荷物

Translates to 'the luggage' according to google (but you might not want to get it tattooed

Thanks for the hint Den, now that, I am seriously considering to do :D

Great job, Ross - turned out really well =D>

Looking forward to the further adventures of you and your apprentice....... :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Well done Ross and thanks for an entertaining read. Also shows what can be achieved with the minimum of hand tools and innovative al-fresco workshop.

You might wish to consider syphoning off some of the Hob-nobs money into a 'Truss Fund' because the weight of the box with all those tools could give you a hernia :roll:

Regards Keith

The Eriba Turner":367z6sl8 said:
Well done Ross and thanks for an entertaining read. Also shows what can be achieved with the minimum of hand tools and innovative al-fresco workshop.

You might wish to consider syphoning off some of the Hob-nobs money into a 'Truss Fund' because the weight of the box with all those tools could give you a hernia :roll:

Regards Keith

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the comments Keith. Running in and out with the tool-box today, between showers, has got me thinking of making a quarter scale model of the Hindenburg and filling it with Helium and attaching it to the handles.

Back