How much per ft3? My maths isn't what it used to be!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I normally only post in the 'spinney world' forum but do occasionally make 'flat' things.

Wanted to finish a top for a coffee table I started a while back, before I had a heart attack! SWBMO asked if I could get some boards to match our European oak flooring, so contacted the guy who supplied the floor.

To cut a long story short, for £200 I ended up with 132 boards on a 'remainder' pallet from another job. Average 2m long, 125mm wide and 20mm thick. Roughly I think that works out at somewhere under £10 per cubic foot? Anyone else think it works out anything close to that? I guess another way to work it out is around £1.50 per board.

They are T&G but that doesn't worry me as it'll save me some biscuit jointing! :lol: Where I don't want the T&G to show on the ends of table/TV unit tops I'll rip the boards down the length, should only lose about 15mm off the width of these. Some others will need either the tongue or the groove removed, but not both.

Some of the top layer of the pallet are a bit damp/slightly cupped but the majority are A1. The 'dodgy' ones can probably be thicknessed down and still leave a useable board. I doubt I'll lose more than 10-15% of the total volume to thicknessing or T&G removal.

I've got another couple of small areas of flooring (landing & porch) to replace so that'll be done first, then anything that isn't usable for furniture making could be pen blanks, or failing that firewood.

Cheers,

Neil.

Sound about right.

I did some quick approximations and came out at about £9.60 per cube.

A stealth gloat if ever I saw one.

You most definately suck!!! :evil: :wink:

Cheers

Aled

Hi Aled,

Thanks for the confirmation of my rough calculation.... I thought it was a good deal!

Best part was I think he just wanted to shift the pallet which was over ordered on another job. When he asked me how much cash I had on me I should have said £150 not the £200 I actually had! Far too honest! Still hopefully I might get another good deal next time!

Cheers,

Neil.

Back