What finish is on hardwood floor boards and how to get rid of it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is hardly reclaimed timber found in a skip or down by the railway. Theres not going to be any grit because its a finely finished piece of wood flooring coated in a hard finish.
Besides, one of those planes is £70 approx, new blades are £35. and buying a plane for the single use isnt tha6t cost efficient.
If it was walked upon at all there is a high probability that their will be a bit of grit or bit of nail embedded somewhere, and it only takes one!
Not likely to need a new blade on a scrub unless you are at it 24/7. Doesn't matter if they pick up a nick or two you just hone the edge and carry on regardless

If it was walked upon at all there is a high probability that their will be a bit of grit or bit of nail embedded somewhere, and it only takes one!
Not likely to need a new blade on a scrub unless you are at it 24/7. Doesn't matter if they pick up a nick or two you just hone the edge and carry on regardless
A bit of a nail ??? :LOL: which bit :LOL:
TBH Jacob, grit isnt going to be a problem, I mean have you ever seen manufactured real wood flooring ? The surface on it is pretty impervious.

And unless this is a big bit of 'grit' (whatever that is exactly) 1mm off in a thicknesser is going to remove any surface imperfections in one pass.

Hand planing with a scrub plane
1. You get a bunch of grooves caused by the radius of the blade
2. Jack or fore plane next, to get out those grooves
3 No4 or sander.
What all that adds up to is hours of work, likely a hone or two, and buckets, yes good old summer buckets of sweat.
And anyway, a scrub plane is for off saw timber, rough as a badgers bum, you don't take pure flat wood and go over it with a scrub plane, thats just crazy talk.

You literally need to try removing it before advising how to remove it . as bp 22 said in op 80 grit didn’t touch it nor did any other of his attempts. I don’t give up easy but as said in my 1st reply not even my old makita heavy belt sander had much of an effect on it . I’ve also not come across any paint or varnish that could withstand nitromoors stripper hence tha table saw was my answer- removing 1-2 mm and the sanding. I’m interested in his attempts with his planer but won’t be surprised if that fails. It’s like taking sandpaper to a granite stone - you get nowhere. Hand planes just glide over it or dig in and refuse to move . T/saw b/saw or hopefully bp22,s planer will do it .

A bit of a nail ??? :LOL: which bit :LOL:
TBH Jacob, grit isnt going to be a problem, I mean have you ever seen manufactured real wood flooring ? The surface on it is pretty impervious.
If it's manufactured I wouldn't touch it - the surface could be very thin, best left as is and cleaned upa bit once it's back down
And unless this is a big bit of 'grit' (whatever that is exactly) 1mm off in a thicknesser is going to remove any surface imperfections in one pass.
And a 1mm bit of grit will put a 1mm nick in all three blades. n.b. "grit" is any small stone chipping such as you could pick up and bring in on your shoe from outside.

If it's manufactured I wouldn't touch it - the surface could be very thin, best left as is and cleaned upa bit once it's back down

And a 1mm bit of grit will put a 1mm nick in all three blades. n.b. "grit" is any small stone chipping such as you could pick up and bring in on your shoe from outside.
Give it a rest Jacob, you're falling over yourself to make excuses.

. Hand planes just glide over it or dig in and refuse to move .

If you're willing to hold on to the stock for at least a fortnight, @bp122
I can plane up a few lengths to demonstrate, i.e put my money where my mouth is.
It is certainly tough stuff, I use some lengths of ash with that finish for clamping, as it's quite non stick, and removal of this stuff is not the job for a narrow plane with camber, unless its tremendously agreeable soft stuff is underneath, which is unlikely for floorboards or whatever hard wearing surface, and likely doesn't need to be thinned so much at the same time.

Tom

Last edited:
Back