How many of you would enter a tools raffle/?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
afternoon,
This is not necessarily something i'm thinking of running here specifically but a small survey to start gathering numbers and averages for a possible idea.
The long and short of it is due to personal reasons i do what i can to get by outside of offices and workplaces full of people and while i have spent the last few years restoring bits to workable for some profit here and there as the seasons change its been harder to find machinery consistently cheap and local so im looking at other options.

Im looking in to starting an online raffle with prizes as sets, such as- dewalt/makita/etc mitre saw, few relevant books, stand, rollers, a few quality blades, lock down clamps, respirator shield and a tool bag that the smaller bits can be sent in or £### worth of top quality marking and measuring equipment with relevant books, storage and tool protection/care products; useful and complete bundles for specific tools/uses/needs.

Im hoping to start finding out how many people would enter something like this and at what kind of ticket price you would see it worth to try at say £1000 in prizes + delivery? I would like to set something up and keep it as consistent as possible in price and value each time from the get go and so far im considering between £5 and £20 entry which at the high end would leave the prizes being 50x the value

thank you for any input,
Liam

I would not. Reason being that like many people on sites like this, I am already well equipped and a random selection of tools is unlikely to appeal to me. Basically it's a money making scheme for you and the only raffles I enter are for charity and don't care if I win or lose.

I enter tool competitions every now and then (and have been lucky enough to win a few bits). I would never enter a raffle though. If I NEED a tool, I will buy it, if I WANT a tool I will either buy, save for it or work out some method of getting it. Gambling (which is all a raffle is) to get a tool I need or want is silly and gambling to get tools I probably already have or don't need/want is just a waste of my money.

I would not. Reason being that like many people on sites like this, I am already well equipped and a random selection of tools is unlikely to appeal to me. Basically it's a money making scheme for you and the only raffles I enter are for charity and don't care if I win or lose.

I agree with most of this. I am less well equipped, but I would rather select the tools and models that I want and I cant get excited about having a small chance to win when the organiser is taking a decent margin. same goes for scratch cards.

raffles for charity or local causes are a donation, winning a bonus. Besides these, the Christmas meat raffle at the butchers is only exception that I would bother with.

I would not because I do not do Go Fund Me, or raffle for me, or give the slob that lost everything to a fire and didn't have insurance but can afford to smoke, drink, do drugs and has better stuff than I do because they live on credit. I did it the hard way and made my choices to have what I have, not because I mooched off others.

Pete

no way I'd get invovled in this, with respect it comes across as very dodgy, even if that's not what you were intending.

I would not because I do not do Go Fund Me, or raffle for me, or give the slob that lost everything to a fire and didn't have insurance but can afford to smoke, drink, do drugs and has better stuff than I do because they live on credit. I did it the hard way and made my choices to have what I have, not because I mooched off others.
Better out than in hey?

Pete

Don't be shy, tell us what you really think!

Okay guys, I need a new Festool track saw and extractor for it. A bunch of you get together and give me a few thousand and I'll send one you a voucher for a dozen pints at your favourite pub.

Maybe I should send the OP the email address of Muammar Gaddafi's niece. She wants to give me money and I would be happy to give it to him or you.

Aren't there enough scammers out there without it becoming part of this place too?

If I am too blunt then put me on Ignore.

Pete

Pete
Thats a bit hard hearted of you Pete, though I respect your opinion.

I'm not rich, im on minimum income, but I think not to, though every case has its merits, is a kick in the teeth to the humane side of humanity... To blanket refuse on some nonsense moral factor is far from moral.

Last edited:
I would not enter a raffle like that. If I need something I just buy it.

another perspective however.

On Facebook, I am a member of the local community group and there is somebody on there who regularly runs raffles and bingos (ie choose a number). they seem popular. £20-50 of prize, all manner of hampers, bottle of JD, etc.

so each to their own, you may be able to make a few quid doing it.

I've actually just entered a raffle(free) for an £1800 gaming computer. First time ive actually done that given its a case of add name/email, and put off slightly due to privacy. But thought this time what the 'ell.

The long and short of it is due to personal reasons i do what i can to get by outside of offices and workplaces full of people
Are you a busker or are you selling sandwiches.

There are already far to many gambling schemes around and unfortunately I think they have now impacted on even the charitable ones that may be genuine because I now don't trust any of them, even when they drag an old celeb into the hard sell adds. Win a cruise, win a car, win a rail trip, win a three legged donkey and all seem to be phone the same Derby number.

These schemes can rake it in because you buy a prize for say £20,000 and sell tickets at a fiver, many people will just go for it as a £5 is not a lot, they run the scheme for three months and done correctly will sell far more than the 4000 needed to break even, often at least doubling their investment, you just need the marketing to reach a large target audience. Even better on the Tv as the audience is massive and can be even more gullable.

I think this scheme of yours is a lead balloon, many of us will have been in your position at some time in our lives but through work and determination we have achieved what we have and been able to purchase what we need.

Think it's a none starter, certainly not for me, and I think may be against the law, and possibly outside of the site guidance?

Count me in, as it looks like there will be no other entries you might as well just send me the prizes over now :)
My mate Dave cottoned on to this yonks ago when we were in the venture scouts together. There was a christmas fete. Right at the end of the day the bottle stall had 2 bottles of spirits, 1 of wine and a couple of shampoo left(You buy a ticket, and win a bottle- maybe booze,beer etc or maybe orange juice or shampoo, but you always win a bottle). Tickets £1 each, so he sees the 5 remaining tickets that were left and buys the lot, guaranteeing himself both the wine and the spirits, and the shampoo went in the bin :LOL:

Back