How many of you would enter a tools raffle/?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would bother mainly because there’s plenty of draws out there that are free to enter for work gear & tools.
I won a Festool/Snickers coat a few months back in an Instagram giveaway, cost me a couple of clicks on my iPad screen.

48E38BB9-E417-432C-BAFA-DCAA2EE6D5A6.jpeg

Ive a nice Stabila level & quite a few other bits I’ve won on Instagram over the last 7 or 8 years.

I've actually just entered a raffle(free) for an £1800 gaming computer. First time ive actually done that given its a case of add name/email, and put off slightly due to privacy. But thought this time what the 'ell.

That's not a raffle if it's free to enter, it's just a competition, though I suppose you could argue your personal information is being used as a form of payment.

Not for me, seems insecure and do you have register with the lotteries commission or something? the only time I won a competition it was online with a major manufacturer and I won a £500 TV and dvd player, safer with a major manufacturer/retailer in my opinion

There will be a sweet spot for ticket cost. Too much and you won’t sell many, too low and you’ll sell more but may not turn a profit.
Also make sure you run it properly (and legally). I probably won’t enter as I’d rather choose my own tools but if I was considering it, I’d want assurances that prizes exist and will be awarded or my stake will be returned in full. Bear in mind you may be called on to prove this too.
Finally, have you considered what you will do if the scheme fails to turn a profit?

Last edited:
I would bother mainly because there’s plenty of draws out there that are free to enter for work gear & tools.
I won a Festool/Snickers coat a few months back in an Instagram giveaway, cost me a couple of clicks on my iPad screen.

View attachment 111215

Ive a nice Stabila level & quite a few other bits I’ve won on Instagram over the last 7 or 8 years.

You never mentioned you were a male model .................... back pictures only 🤣

I think it could work but this is probably not the right audience as (mentioned above) too many already have their own tools...

Being slightly cynical it will be all about maximising the perceived value of the prize... not the cost / actual value... so possibly more items of a cheaper brand as those who enter may not have the same brand knowledge so 2x the stuff from ryobi will look more exciting than half the stuff from Makita or one empty box from Festool!

I would not because I do not do Go Fund Me, or raffle for me, or give the slob that lost everything to a fire and didn't have insurance but can afford to smoke, drink, do drugs and has better stuff than I do because they live on credit. I did it the hard way and made my choices to have what I have, not because I mooched off others.

Pete

While some readers might think this the above post is a little brusque, the truth is there; mid last year I read on another woodworking facebook site that someone in America had lost thier woodworking business to a fire and "his best mate" had set up a Go Fund Me for $200,000 to help them build a new barn premises then stock it out. According to the GFM blurb this business had been running for decades "was a pillar of the community etc etc", to which I can assume the owner had been making a decent living out of it, and thus probably able to buy a home of thier own, and most importantly - PAY FOR FIRE INSURANCE.

So, me being me I stuck my nose in and wrote to the person whom set up the Go Fund Me asking why this business was deserving of $200k when they were supposed to have had insurance and weren't there far more worthy charities etc to ask for peoples money? I got a rather different GFM in return with the last word being "myself", which on reflection I might have misconstrued and could have been an invitation as "myself" was used instead of "yourself".

I'm sure there are GFM's that are worthy, but how do you sort the well deserving wheat, from the very well crafted and worded "to pluck at the hear strings" chaff?

As to the Raffle, well the OP at least has been completely transparent about it being about profit for him, but as others have said - for me - I wouldn't unless he had something on offer I would really like, and it would have to be of a value I couldn't get for myself easily - say for example a fully kitted out sawstop saw with all the trimmings which is somewhere around the £4k+ mark, or for lower value tickets, one of those really nice new Bosch mitre saws with the non sliding arm, or a festool tracksaw. Offering something "top of the line" that could be an upgrade for those whom already have a machine but a cheaper one, might be a better model, but then you've got the gambling commission etc to contend with and I can pretty much guarentee someone here will report it.

Unless you can do all that and "all legal like" - I think you're better off thinking of another way to make money.

While some readers might think this the above post is a little brusque, the truth is there; mid last year I read on another woodworking facebook site that someone in America had lost thier woodworking business to a fire and "his best mate" had set up a Go Fund Me for $200,000 to help them build a new barn premises then stock it out. According to the GFM blurb this business had been running for decades "was a pillar of the community etc etc", to which I can assume the owner had been making a decent living out of it, and thus probably able to buy a home of thier own, and most importantly - PAY FOR FIRE INSURANCE.

So, me being me I stuck my nose in and wrote to the person whom set up the Go Fund Me asking why this business was deserving of $200k when they were supposed to have had insurance and weren't there far more worthy charities etc to ask for peoples money? I got a rather different GFM in return with the last word being "myself", which on reflection I might have misconstrued and could have been an invitation as "myself" was used instead of "yourself".

There was a Go Fund Me for a similar shop fire in the US. Turned out there never was a fire and it was all a hoax.

Pete

There was a Go Fund Me for a similar shop fire in the US. Turned out there never was a fire and it was all a hoax.
The way of the world, don't work or graft just scam the people who do. As I said I now treat all the adverts for life insurance, funerals and poverty as just scams because even the more genuine ones still cream of a good proportion so the intended group sees little.

Back