How Many Guns does one need to be safe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely a gun is very dangerous, you can get killed with one of them, so why would you want one for safety?

Guns do not kill people...people kill people.Ban guns and the crims just use other means...But with a good defence and training in the use of them...People show respect toward one another.Crime drops,because the criminals do not know who is protecting what....I have been trained extensively in the use and safety of guns...not one has killed me yet....I own quite a few.

One is for Rabbits (A good meal)a twenty two rifle
One is for Pheasants (Another good eating meal) 410 shotgun
One is for protection of house -357 magnum 4 inch barrel
One is for missed target escaping with goods -44 magnum 7 inch barrel
One is for show -44 black powder ,antique gun
Wife is a crack shot with all of these,her dad used her to throw clay targets for him and if he missed she could shoot them with her 22 rim fired single shot rifle...she is a regular Annie Oakley with it.When I married her I took her out to the range to teach her to shoot...well shes better then me,I told her to quit wasteing ammo as she didn`t need pratice.

I have an old .22 bolt action rifle from Montgomery Wards. The gun is in its case in a closet in the house and the bolt is hdden in the shop. There isn't a round for it on the property. As it sits right now, it could be used as a club and if I miss, I can always throw it.

I only have it because its was my grandfather's and the only thing of his I have. I've never shot it and don't intend to.

Many years ago we used to have .22 bullet guns at blackpool pleasure beach bolt action and semi's ,cartridges all over the floor :lol: :lol:

I used to have quite a large collection of guns many years ago. I did enjoy my shooting and along with many of the members of our club we had a healthy respect for them. Safety was paramount and we could see what damage one could do in the wrong hands. Then along came Hungerford and the regulations were tightened. I sold all of my guns after that knowing that if I didn't I would lose a lot of money on them. Years later another disaster at Dunblane put the final nail in the coffin for legal gun owners. Since then gun crime has not gone down it has escalated as the guns that were available were just driven underground and far more difficult to police. I do not condone the strict regulations on guns but it seems to me as has been mentioned it is not the gun that kills it is the man on the trigger. This could also be said about cars, they do not kill it is the silly person behind the wheel. Sorry rant over now. :roll:

I agree with all you say Mailee however, a car is designed for transport and gun is designed to shoot things.

Agreed Mailee! Quoting US figures is a favourite tactic by the anti gun lobby but over here guns are still more difficult to acquire and more expensive than knives. I feel that if knife crime and gun crime were added together the figures might not look so different to other countries.
A report published by the BBC suggests that knife crime is about 60000 offenses/annum plus gun crime on top.
I doubt that victims are much concerned with the niceties of gun versus knife statistics though.

Roy.

Steve Maskery":81cutpmq said:
Grinding One":81cutpmq said:
I own quite a few.

Why, isn't one enough?
S
Guns are like planes or routers in Mailee's case, you can never have too many.
And of course there aren't any pistols in the UK anymore as they've all been banned.

Jeff.

Grinding One":2f6nm3sb said:
One is for Rabbits (A good meal)a twenty two rifle
One is for Pheasants (Another good eating meal) 410 shotgun
One is for protection of house -357 magnum 4 inch barrel
One is for missed target escaping with goods -44 magnum 7 inch barrel
One is for show -44 black powder ,antique gun
Wife is a crack shot with all of these,her dad used her to throw clay targets for him and if he missed she could shoot them with her 22 rim fired single shot rifle...she is a regular Annie Oakley with it.When I married her I took her out to the range to teach her to shoot...well shes better then me,I told her to quit wasteing ammo as she didn`t need pratice.
And where do you keep these guns ? could be a nasty accident if you get into a argument with someone :) unless of course you have a lock-up armoury.
Davon

Oryxdesign":37ycvzfz said:
I agree with all you say Mailee however, a car is designed for transport and gun is designed to shoot things.

Ummm....like rabbits and pheasants. And gets rid of vermin like squirrels and pigeons (also quite tasty).

Me too Roger and I have no problem with guns being used to hunt them but, a gun is a dangerous tool and I can't see that having one under your pillow is going to keep you safe.

Oryxdesign":2rpr132w said:
Me too Roger and I have no problem with guns being used to hunt them but, a gun is a dangerous tool and I can't see that having one under your pillow is going to keep you safe.

Why not? As long as you wake up in time :wink:

It's a bit like that poor Greek driver who's been arrested for protecting his livelihood and property. Our law is rubbish. You're woken up in the early hours of the morning by three guys with baseball bats and so you defend yourself. Tough that two of them died. Shouldn't have been trying to rob the Greek in the first place.

I think you'd be more likely to shoot the wife or kids than an intruder, mind you, my experience is limited as I haven't had any intruders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back