How long for a Rob Cosman plane tuning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":r26hn5ag said:
Honerite no 1 oil costs £9.50 per 125 litres from WH which works out at nearly £80 a litre.
More like £0.076 per litre based on that price Jacob! That seems pretty cheap to me.

I realise, and I suspect everyone else does to, that you meant to type £9.50 per 0.125 l which equals £76/litre, but I couldn't resist, ha, ha. Slainte.

Next thing is to turn it into wine, or work out how to walk on it.

I can turn wine into urine if thats any help :)

Additives to water, producing a non rusting cutting fluid, are well known in engineering metal working shops.

Failure of knowledge, arithmetic and reading of the instructions, all in the same post??? Is this a record?

David

David C":2l2mldr0 said:
Additives to water, producing a non rusting cutting fluid, are well known in engineering metal working shops.

Failure of knowledge, arithmetic and reading of the instructions, all in the same post??? Is this a record?

David

I'm not sure rust preventatives are required for sharpening, if you wipe the tool after you sharpen it. I'm assuming you are responding to another post as well as I don't think I made any errors in arithmetic or instruction reading.

Edited to add I see you were responding to someone else, apologies.

David C":2x182rxu said:
I think that's where they should stay Dave.
Water seems to be a fundamental mistake apropos woodworking tools. MK II water with very expensive additives is an improvement. MK III water will probably be oil - at least that's the way common sense seems to be pointing

David
What instructions? I saw no instructions? The arithmetic was a typo Dave, did you not spot it?

Dangermouse":3l1ku8kf said:
This is in danger of turning into a sharpening thread ! :-({|= [-X [-o<

Loonnnggg overdue. We haven't had one for quite a while.
What about saw sharpening. No one seems to get terribly excited by that. Blades on stone, yes. File on metal teeth, Nope.

MIGNAL":1gxp2uwx said:
What about saw sharpening. No one seems to get terribly excited by that. Blades on stone, yes. File on metal teeth, Nope.

I sharpen my saws all from one side. Everyone who turns their saw around in the vise doesn't know what he's doing and is wasting his time.

So, I put some much needed pepper in this thread

Corneel":3rftszct said:
I sharpen my saws all from one side. Everyone who turns their saw around in the vise doesn't know what he's doing and is wasting his time.

So, I put some much needed pepper in this thread

You are a heathen blasphemer. :D

BugBear

MIGNAL":2decruhr said:
Dangermouse":2decruhr said:
This is in danger of turning into a sharpening thread ! :-({|= [-X [-o<

It seems the Japs don't do their own - which is a relief as there is no incentive to go all oriental with complicated messy systems and difficult materials.
In any case it's not easy to imagine complicated alternatives to the file, on which to hang product sales, though there are a few gadgets around.
But the main thing is that saws just aren't as sexy somehow - no shiny bevels or much resembling big teeth and claws. Little teeth yes, but they just don't have "it".
Talking of big teeth - sabre tooth tiger in the paper yesterday - mega fauna remains often found not far from little stone arrowheads, which shows how significant sharpening is, in human development.

bugbear":2vdkvvzj said:
Jacob":2vdkvvzj said:
But the main thing is that saws just aren't as sexy somehow - no shiny bevels or much resembling big teeth and claws. Little teeth yes, but they just don't have "it".

Yeah - no one's interested in saws.

http://www.backsaw.net/

BugBear
It's all about the handles. One saw blade is much the same as another

Sloped gullets, rake and fleam angles, "universal" teeth, backbevels, thikcness of the blade, canted blades, sawvises.

There's plenty to discuss!

Incremental teeth, lambs tongues, dolphins ect

Pete

The real difference is that saw sharpening is optional while plane and chisel sharpening is essential. I don't really expect to see a rash of threads singing the praises of the various replaceable blade planes, but plenty of people have swapped over to disposable saws in the belief that saw sharpening is next to impossible and best avoided.

Corneel":1ydqtry9 said:
I've seen WD-40 recommended, but it is crazy expensive. Baby oil is at least smelling nice!

I really want to get my oilstones in working order, they do have some advantages over waterstones I guess. I just have to learn how to live with them.

All too fancy Corneel. Bit of spittle on the oil stone and your set to go. The old chippies on the worksite needed nothing else. Looked a woos if you didn't follow their example. (hammer)

Stewie;

Look chaps - can we avoid all this talk about "sexy sharpening" please?

A lot of my sharpening tends to happen when I'm wearing a pair of tatty old jeans and a baggy woolly with a hole in the armpit. I now feel very inadequate - I don't have a nubile wench in stockings and a lacy basque to do my sharpening for me. Am I getting it all wrong? Should I try to find a long-term sharpening partner, or can I just pay for one by the hour when I feel the need?

AndyT":1rwdyqpt said:
The real difference is that saw sharpening is optional while plane and chisel sharpening is essential ... plenty of people have swapped over to disposable saws in the belief that saw sharpening is next to impossible and best avoided.
Saw sharpening isn't really optional, assuming the saw isn't one of the disposable variety you mentioned. Someone has to do it if the tool no longer cuts effectively for whatever reason, e.g., everything from blunt to bent. But it's also true that saw doctors have been available to do the job, but they are becoming scarcer and generally less able to take on the challenge of dealing with all the different tooth patterns if we're talking of a comprehensive range of traditional hand saws and their tooth patterns.

Sharpening a typical western style hand saw, e.g., a standard tooth pattern rip or cross cut saw, can be a bit challenging, and there is a learning curve that only practice will resolve. And the job can be royally screwed up if you don't know what you're doing-- some practical instruction, if it's available, helps enormously, otherwise I guess learners need to resort to video demonstrations and the like, although studying written instructions or guidance and pictures (photographs and graphics) can help get a learner on the right track.

Nowadays I find one tricky task is finding decent files, especially those needed for saws with finer teeth, e.g., dovetail saws and fine cross cut saws. Chops are a doddle to make, and saw-sets are available too, although finding saw-sets for very fine teeth is more difficult, but hardly needed if the teeth are very fine and small. I guess one of the hardest jobs is starting from scratch where you have to basically file off all the existing screwed up teeth, joint the edge and start again, and a hacksaw blade can be handy for that because you can line it up with the jointed edge and use it to guide the file at appropriate spacings to start setting out the new gullets and subsequent shaping of the teeth. Slainte.

Back