How long for a Rob Cosman plane tuning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":m54wbtyg said:
Jacob":m54wbtyg said:
Loads of them around 2nd hand. I've never bought a new one.

I thought you'd been using the first one you bought for your entire career, since they don't wear?

BugBear
Digging in the archives again? :lol: :lol:
I was given the (new) one I use most. I think I bought one from Woolworths before that, about 1970 I guess. Still got them both.

woodbrains":34ol72a1 said:
Hello,

Paraffin in the best honing fluid by far, I have found. It keeps the stones cleaner and helps with keeping the cutting fast. Baby oil is largely paraffin, but like honing oil, 3 in 1 oil and the usual media, I think it is too viscous for efficient swarfe removal.

Mike

You could well be right, 3 in 1 is just what I happen to have around anyway so it's what I use. I have to say I've never come across honing oil outside of sharpening threads, how is it different from baby oil or 3 in 1?

I've seen WD-40 recommended, but it is crazy expensive. Baby oil is at least smelling nice!

I really want to get my oilstones in working order, they do have some advantages over waterstones I guess. I just have to learn how to live with them.

charvercarver":2omuitjt said:
woodbrains":2omuitjt said:
Hello,

Paraffin in the best honing fluid by far, I have found. It keeps the stones cleaner and helps with keeping the cutting fast. Baby oil is largely paraffin, but like honing oil, 3 in 1 oil and the usual media, I think it is too viscous for efficient swarfe removal.

Mike

You could well be right, 3 in 1 is just what I happen to have around anyway so it's what I use. I have to say I've never come across honing oil outside of sharpening threads, how is it different from baby oil or 3 in 1?

Hello,

I used honing oil for a spell (till the bottle ran out) just to try, I don't think it is radically different than 3 in 1. Just a light mineral oil, possibly slightly lighter. 3 in 1 works well enough and is generally around the workshop, but I would not buy it specifically for honing use. Baby oil has the advantage of being nice smelling and cheaper than the former and will be skin friendly.

Incidentally, if you melt some paraffin wax in an old pan, it can be used to soak new stones and is ideal if you want to continue using paraffin oil (or baby oil for that matter) without it drinking up the fluid for ages after.

Mike.

I might try baby oil if I remember to pick some up. So honing oil is just mineral oil in a bottle that says honing oil? Don't think I'll bother with that then. Certainly not at £80 a litre.

I've never tried baby oil, I'll have to get a few and put them in my hydraulic press, anyone know how much oil you get from one baby ????

J_SAMa":30yiouyu said:
G S Haydon":30yiouyu said:
J_SAMa":30yiouyu said:
How long do you think it can go without being refreshed? A year? FYI I'm a weekend woodworker.
Without an Arkansas, do you go straight from the oilstone to a strop or do you take intermediate steps?
Sam

With the type of work I do the india and a palm of the hand strop is just fine. Although I can well appreciate other types of work will require further refinement. are you happy with the results your getting?

Not really happy... I am using waterstones and they are fast, so fast I can feel the blades being ground. But I'm tired of flattening them. I'd been flattening them with a diamond stone and now the diamond stone is glazed :(. I'd wanted to switch to oilstones... until I saw the price tags... A Norton stone costs more than a diamond stone :evil:
Sam

I'm surprised they are so expensive! A norton combination stone is quite cheap in the UK and even cheaper in the US.

[/quote]

Larry is a good guy, with lots of practical experience and I admire him a lot. But don't take everything he writes for gospel, only because of his name. He's occasionally wrong too, like everybody else.[/quote]

Agreed Corneel, I try to avoid worrying too much about who is right and wrong, it's just nice to soak up some experience from whomever, Larry, You, David C or Jacob were are lucky that the interweb allows us to share so much info so quickly and easily.

G S Haydon":1zp4kl1i said:
J_SAMa":1zp4kl1i said:
Not really happy... I am using waterstones and they are fast, so fast I can feel the blades being ground. But I'm tired of flattening them. I'd been flattening them with a diamond stone and now the diamond stone is glazed :(. I'd wanted to switch to oilstones... until I saw the price tags... A Norton stone costs more than a diamond stone :evil:
Sam

I'm surprised they are so expensive! A norton combination stone is quite cheap in the UK and even cheaper in the US.

Indeed, you'll have to learn Dutch when living in The Netherlands :lol: Makes life a lot cheaper. This was the first hit when I was searching for "Norton India slijpsteen". 12,44 euro (+Vat + shipping).

http://www.teygeler.nl/product-2875-combinatie-slijpsteen-norton-711053.html

Dangermouse":20vly3uk said:
I've never tried baby oil, I'll have to get a few and put them in my hydraulic press, anyone know how much oil you get from one baby ????
:lol: :lol:

woodbrains":20vly3uk said:
Interesting, the Mk 2 isn't pre calibrated to 24.5 degrees, do you use a dial indicator to get this unusual angle?
Standard Angle, notch E on the registration guide, eccentric wheel set at 6 o'clock = 24.7degrees - which is about as close as you'll get... (I'm not a MarkII guide geek - honest) :oops: :roll:

Cheers, Vann.

I like the unit price comparison.
Question for anyone using diesel - doesn't it stink out the workshop? I always use the plastic gloves when I fill the car up because I hate the smell of it on my hands.
And the same would apply to paraffin wouldn't it? With a bit of a fire hazard as a bonus.

Baby oil is much nicer!

But I'll stick to 3-in-1 at about £10 per litre.

I feel I should use Evian on my waterstones after seeing how much oil costs :shock: :D

Pete

Honerite gold.

250ml makes 6 litres of fluid and costs £18 from WH.

This works out at £3 per litre.

David

David C":2tu4k73d said:
Honerite gold.

David

But isn't that just something you add to water anyway? As in it is for waterstones, not oil stones.

David C":23f2k73o said:
Honerite gold.

David
Honerite no 1 oil costs £9.50 per 125 litres from WH which works out at nearly £80 a litre. No doubt it would be cheaper elsewhere but would it be cheaper than The Macallan Gold?. I doubt it.
Has anybody tried whiskey as a honing fluid? I might do it over the christmas period for a change.
Does Honerite no 1 have to mature for 10 years in oak barrels perhaps?

I like the idea of adding rust proofer to water, pure Alice Through the Looking glass! Next thing is to turn it into wine, or work out how to walk on it.

Back