How long for a Rob Cosman plane tuning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the big deal? He spent 5 minutes on tuning a Plane. Suggests that he had very little to do to the Plane in the first instance.

And no mention of fitting one of his premium price blades!

Try doing that to a car boot buy. I see he " took the plane out of its box " so not much to do there then ! (hammer) :roll:

MIGNAL":3aogm6vk said:
What's the big deal? He spent 5 minutes on tuning a Plane. Suggests that he had very little to do to the Plane in the first instance.
Er yes. What can one say except "so what"? :lol: Cosman takes a plane from a box, which didn't need much doing to it. It didn't make the 6 o'clock news. Did he pull out a white rabbit at the same time?
Cosman is a proper showman - there's no knowing how long he took fiddling with the plane before he put it in the box. :roll:

Jacob":14owgkov said:
Cosman is a proper showman - there's no knowing how long he took fiddling with the plane before he put it in the box. :roll:

Are you accusing someone of active dishonesty on a public forum Jacob? Possibly unwise.

BugBear

I watched him take a 4 1/2 out of the
box spend less than five minutes on a little fettling.
Another minute on honing and then he took a full width solid shaving 0.0002 thick from a 2
in wide piece of very curly maple. Kinda impressive. He did the ruler
trick. He used a Trend double sided diamond stone. 325 on one side 1000 on
the other and polished on a 16,000 Shapton.

It is a new £300 premium plane or a £5 boot fair plane? I guess the 5 min fettling was adjusting the lateral lever and setting the blade depth. I suppose it might be possible to flatten the sole and frog, shape the bottom of the back iron etc in 5 min but you'd need everything set up and ready to go.

And you only need a few strokes for honing.

bugbear":301lhkq3 said:
Jacob":301lhkq3 said:

Are you accusing someone of active dishonesty on a public forum Jacob? Possibly unwise.

BugBear

"Straight out of the box" or not, tuning up a premium plane in 5 minutes isn't impressive...

J_SAMa":3ovgsohw said:
bugbear":3ovgsohw said:
Jacob":3ovgsohw said:

BugBear

"Straight out of the box" or not, tuning up a premium plane in 5 minutes isn't impressive...

It was a Wood River, similar to Rutlands own.

BugBear

:D Right. It took me 2 minutes to fettle my Rutlands 'Woodriver' Plane.
That Cosman guy needs to get practicing!!!

bugbear":3j1yt7s9 said:

BugBear

Wood River is a premium... At least Quangsheng is.
Also I remember Rob Cosman was paid to appear in one of the videos Woodcraft made. He's probably endorsing Wood River now.

J_SAMa":gydqe0en said:
bugbear":gydqe0en said:

BugBear

Wood River is a premium... At least Quangsheng is.
Also I remember Rob Cosman was paid to appear in one of the videos Woodcraft made. He's probably endorsing Wood River now.
He is.
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_planes-woodriver.php

Have a look at this. It might be an April fool I suppose:
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_angle_trainer.php
Or is it the answer to the big enigma;
Q. how could everybody sharpen freehand in the old days without a problem?
A. They practiced for many years with "angle trainers". Obvious innit? Now we know.

This made me laugh too http://www.robcosman.com/tools_lapping_fluid.php
Probably one of the most expensive fluids known to man. :shock:
Makes water non rusting! Brilliant.
He doesn't stock oil stones I notice. Non of them do. I wonder why? :lol: :lol:

Possibly the answer, Jacob, is that 'in the old days', people who wanted to use tools (and therefore sharpen them) would be doing so not out of desire for entertainment (i.e. a hobby), but out of a means to earn money (i.e. a paid job they would be doing day in, day out).
As such, the amount of time available for learning the skills (i.e. muscle memory) would be much greater, and also there would be a tutor/mentor available to indicate when those skills were not being picked up correctly.

Using jigs (however insulting you are of both those using them, and the jigs themselves) aids those (especially) hobbyists who do a little woodwork in their spare time and are keen to know that the main aim of enjoyment (cutting up wood!) is not being hampered by an inappropriately sharpened cutting edge. Yes, freehand maybe a little quicker (once the skill is learned, and practiced frequently), and certainly cheaper, but isnt always the best route for a user.

Cheers,
Adam

Reading the link provided it seems like Mr Cosman took a high quality plane out of the box, honed it and was able to create very fine shavings quickly. All done whilst doing a presentation to an audience/customers.
I think this shows the products he sells require virtually no work to perform very well. I can therefore see why many people would feel inclined to purchase one.
I did not mind refining my #4 Record and it works very well indeed but with QS/WR planes at such a good price and able to be used with no tinkering they are a tempting option for many people.
Perhaps for a fair perspective we should all try setting and using our tools in front of an audience to know exactly what that added dynamic feels like. Mr Cosman is like Mr Sellers and Mr Schwarz et al, they have to be confident to demonstrate their content and products clearly be that books, DVD's or tools. Some times their styles may grate sometime we may gravitate to them, all of that is a personal choice.

On oils stones I do enjoy using them more than any other medium. I was envious to see this great value kit available across the pond
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Ultimate-Oil-Stone-Kit-P320C100.aspx

Kalimna":3n3lkv9h said:
Possibly the answer, Jacob, is that 'in the old days', people who wanted to use tools (and therefore sharpen them) would be doing so not out of desire for entertainment (i.e. a hobby), but out of a means to earn money (i.e. a paid job they would be doing day in, day out).
As such, the amount of time available for learning the skills (i.e. muscle memory) would be much greater, and also there would be a tutor/mentor available to indicate when those skills were not being picked up correctly.

Using jigs (however insulting you are of both those using them, and the jigs themselves) aids those (especially) hobbyists who do a little woodwork in their spare time and are keen to know that the main aim of enjoyment (cutting up wood!) is not being hampered by an inappropriately sharpened cutting edge. Yes, freehand maybe a little quicker (once the skill is learned, and practiced frequently), and certainly cheaper, but isnt always the best route for a user.

Cheers,
Adam
No Adam it's not true that it's difficult and takes training/time to pick up. It's the best route for beginners - easiest and cheapest. NB people have been doing amateur woodwork (and other crafts) from very early times - it's not new.

Back