How long for a Rob Cosman plane tuning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not yet bought a second-hand tool that has been sharpened properly, so not all the old boys knew what they where doing.

Maybe they needed some jigs?

Pete

Jacob":19u80ovg said:
No Adam it's not true that it's difficult and takes training/time to pick up. It's the best route for beginners - easiest and cheapest.

The one guy fool enough to follow your over-sold advise had poor edges for two years until someone from Lie Neilsen put him right!

BugBear

Jacob":1lt2wsnc said:
He is.
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_planes-woodriver.php

Have a look at this. It might be an April fool I suppose:
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_angle_trainer.php
Or is it the answer to the big enigma;
Q. how could everybody sharpen freehand in the old days without a problem?
A. They practiced for many years with "angle trainers". Obvious innit? Now we know.

This made me laugh too http://www.robcosman.com/tools_lapping_fluid.php
Probably one of the most expensive fluids known to man. :shock:
Makes water non rusting! Brilliant.
He doesn't stock oil stones I notice. Non of them do. I wonder why? :lol: :lol:

I think it actually makes a good honing guide... Probably the simplest form of honing guide available.
EDIT: Actually I take that back... closer inspection to the pictures reveals that gripping a plane blade over that guide seems awkward, at least for me... I always put my left index in the keyhole when sharpening a plane blade. This honing guide obstructs that hole and unlike other guides, it doesn't provide any additional handles/grips.
But the price begs to differ... A block of wood or whatever cut at the correct angles costs nothing :)

Racers":1bs6zwal said:
I have not yet bought a second-hand tool that has been sharpened properly, so not all the old boys knew what they where doing.

Maybe they needed some jigs?

Pete
Can you be more specific? What does "proper" mean?
Perhaps those people had their own, special reasons for not sharpening "properly"...

Not square, wrong angle/angles, totally blunt etc.

Pete

Jacob":3fxnl8n5 said:
Have a look at this. It might be an April fool I suppose:
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_angle_trainer.php
Or is it the answer to the big enigma;
Q. how could everybody sharpen freehand in the old days without a problem?
A. They practiced for many years with "angle trainers". Obvious innit? Now we know.

Jacob, you're all about people getting hands-on and doing it. So what does it matter if someone IS using one of those and its helping them. If the cost of one was out of your own pocket I may understand your Tool-Police, stance!

And don't forget: Its not about the tools. Though you keep bringing the feckin' things up! :mrgreen:

I have one of Cosmans Honing Trainer and I also adopted his stance and height of my Sharpening Stones and after using the Training aid for a short time ( a dozen or so times ) I was able to Sharpen free hand and I defy anyone to find fault with my blades for sharpness I also use the Charlesworth Ruler Trick and I get great results. I have the guide to give away if anyone wants to learn from it, I wouldn't like it to go to anyone who genuinely doesn't want to learn Freehand Sharpening.

G S Haydon":1x0gw2cn said:
On oils stones I do enjoy using them more than any other medium. I was envious to see this great value kit available across the pond
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Ultimate-Oil-Stone-Kit-P320C100.aspx

Since you're an avid user of oilstones, could you tell me if you flatten them? How often? I've seen so many old oilstones with huge pits, as if someone had gouged it out on purpose...
Oh and, does flattening with sandpaper make the stone faster (since it takes off the old, blunt particles)?
Sorry this is off topic.

J_SAMa":7gm3xtuu said:
G S Haydon":7gm3xtuu said:
On oils stones I do enjoy using them more than any other medium. I was envious to see this great value kit available across the pond

Since you're an avid user of oilstones, could you tell me if you flatten them? How often? I've seen so many old oilstones with huge pits, as if someone had gouged it out on purpose...
Oh and, does flattening with sandpaper make the stone faster (since it takes off the old, blunt particles)?
Sorry this is off topic.
I don't flatten them ever. It's not necessary. I attempt to spread the load so that they wear flattish, but they aren't flat by any means. I freshen the surface every now and then with a 3m diapad (which I just happened to have - other abrasives will do) and yes it does make them faster. It also helps to keep them clean and under cover - wipe them down and put the lid back on every time.
BTW believe it or not but I'm not obsessed by this subject; it just keeps coming up - it's a community obsession - and I don't see any reason for not throwing in my tuppence worth, even though it seems to annoy a few people.
NB if you have an old hollowed out stone I'd suggest keeping it that way and not wasting your time flattening it. It could come in handy for cambered blades etc. A bit of camber on a chisel doesn't matter either. Another flatter one will be along sooner or later - they aren't pricey.

Jacob":22bzag9u said:
BTW believe it or not but I'm not obsessed by this subject

Well, that is very hard to believe, given that you are probably the most prolific poster on the subject.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2ojf4gu1 said:
Jacob":2ojf4gu1 said:
BTW believe it or not but I'm not obsessed by this subject

Well, that is very hard to believe, given that you are probably the most prolific poster on the subject.

Paul
Yebbut how many threads on sharpening have I actually set off? One, as far as I can recall (BB will put me right) when I first discovered how to do it properly, 4 or 5 years ago.

I'm a hobby woodworker and relative noob who doesn't need to sharpen much (my tools don't get enough use), I have adopted the convex bevel method that Paul Sellers uses and I have got to say it didn't take me long to pick it up at all, I find the sound of the stone cutting is a good indicator as to the angle. I use a Norton India combination stone and a leather strop (with compound) and have found it takes seconds to refresh an edge to razor sharp (shaves hairs on my arm and slices through a sheet of paper real easy). The only time I would now use a honing guide would be to regrind an edge if its badly chipped and then it would be straight back to convex bevel, if I ever get round to buying a set of diamond stones a may dispose of the honing guide all together.
Just my 2p worth.

Matt

Jacob":3n0007b7 said:
Yebbut how many threads on sharpening have I actually set off?

No idea - but I don't read much of your stuff because you keep repeating yourself and it's all become so tedious.

Paul

I'd like to inspect some of these blades sharpened on dished oilstones.

Jaakko is in direct conflict with Larry Williams who likes to keedp his religiously flat.

I know which method I would go with, and yes I have tried both.

David Charlesworth

J_SAMa":2kzrogvh said:
G S Haydon":2kzrogvh said:

Sorry this is off topic.

Hello J_SAMa

Not at all, thanks for asking. I have not yet had to flatten it yet as within my day job the fine side just gets used for applying a secondary bevel. But sure after a time it will need refreshing, just not there yet. For the record I have tried a few methods, Diamond plates that felt very sterile, a waterstone that I dished because I didn't use it properly and I found myself back at the India because it felt nice and was resistant to dishing.
I bought a second India for my "Hobby" tool collection and wow was it aggressive! Having got used to the old one and I want my new one to calm down :lol: . I would assume that if I were to refresh the surface the old one might bite harder. I also just bought a Arkansas combo stone like the one in the kit I linked to for more refined work.
David also mentioned Larry Williams sharpening vid which is an enjoyable watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ClNp_Eknw He is very methodical with his flattening and exposing new grit, I might personally do a few more sharpens before I worried about it, I will soon find out if it's needed when my Arkansas arrives.

G S Haydon":caf81363 said:
J_SAMa":caf81363 said:
G S Haydon":caf81363 said:

Sorry this is off topic.

Hello J_SAMa

Not at all, thanks for asking. I have not yet had to flatten it yet as within my day job the fine side just gets used for applying a secondary bevel. But sure after a time it will need refreshing, just not there yet. For the record I have tried a few methods, Diamond plates that felt very sterile, a waterstone that I dished because I didn't use it properly and I found myself back at the India because it felt nice and was resistant to dishing.
I bought a second India for my "Hobby" tool collection and wow was it aggressive! Having got used to the old one and I want my new one to calm down :lol: . I would assume that if I were to refresh the surface the old one might bite harder. I also just bought a Arkansas combo stone like the one in the kit I linked to for more refined work.
David also mentioned Larry Williams sharpening vid which is an enjoyable watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ClNp_Eknw He is very methodical with his flattening and exposing new grit, I might personally do a few more sharpens before I worried about it, I will soon find out if it's needed when my Arkansas arrives.

How long do you think it can go without being refreshed? A year? FYI I'm a weekend woodworker.
Without an Arkansas, do you go straight from the oilstone to a strop or do you take intermediate steps?
Sam

Back