How do you work outside in the winter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
My business is getting really busy. I make wooden toys outside. I live in a flat and don't have a workshop. I just carry all my tools outside by the communal laundry area! I remember I just started in January and was making just a few things and it was so cold outside, and that was when I used to work for probably an hour at a time. Now I work outside 4-5 hours at a time! Are there special super thin, super warm gloves you can use with a scroll saw and bandsaw? Leading up to Christmas will be my busiest time of the year, it's already starting, but I don't know how I'm going to continue through to Christmas as it gets colder and colder!!! I looked into renting a workshop where a friend also rents one and it's so expensive, like £130 a month. So, how can I keep warm , especially tips on gloves.

The answer, Ives, is to include the workshop costs in your business plan. MOst people choose to do that rather than freeze to death. I don't see how you can do that sort of work outside in the winter.
S

£130 per month - I think I would have rented rather than builld my shed. (well would have entertained it, if running a business).

That's cheap!

As Steve says - such costs should be included in business costs.

Dibs

where are you in Eastbourne as i live in Eastbourne too there must be places that would let you rent cheaper than that there are some cheap units in hailsham ind estates

I'm kind of afraid to go off to a workshop by myself with my dangerous tools, what if I cut my finger badly on the bandsaw? I'm thinking of all sorts of horrible things.

Ives":13i9htfe said:
what if I cut my finger badly on the bandsaw?

Well, that might be better than being found one morning, frozen to death by the communal laundry area.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

£400 a month for me + energy....

Ives":7wycqkss said:
I'm kind of afraid to go off to a workshop by myself with my dangerous tools, what if I cut my finger badly on the bandsaw? I'm thinking of all sorts of horrible things.

I think you will just to have confidence when using machines but don't get cocky.... You can always rent a unit that is close by to others...

Ives":33zy4edr said:

:? :?

Will that not happen in the laundry area then ?

Have you looked at renting a (car) garage. These go very cheap and you may find one with electric supply.

Blister":11wsoe8q said:
Ives":11wsoe8q said:

:? :?

Will that not happen in the laundry area then ?
At least it'll be easy to wash the blood off!

As long as you take sensible precautions then it's very unlikely you will injure yourself.

Mark

Ives":218lq1bn said:

I think the likelihood of that happening would be much greater outside in the freezing cold, shivering, with numb fingers than it would in a reasonably warm workshop!

could you not try and do some stuff in your flat, a difficult suggestion not knowing your full situation. but i assume if you can carry your gear then its probably small lighter stuff.

Could you use your scrollsaw on the kitchen counter?

just a thought

adidat

Ives":1wskhjup said:
My business is getting really busy. I make wooden toys outside. I live in a flat and don't have a workshop. I just carry all my tools outside by the communal laundry area! I remember I just started in January and was making just a few things and it was so cold outside, and that was when I used to work for probably an hour at a time. Now I work outside 4-5 hours at a time! Are there special super thin, super warm gloves you can use with a scroll saw and bandsaw? Leading up to Christmas will be my busiest time of the year, it's already starting, but I don't know how I'm going to continue through to Christmas as it gets colder and colder!!! I looked into renting a workshop where a friend also rents one and it's so expensive, like £130 a month. So, how can I keep warm , especially tips on gloves.
Why can't you do it inside? Scroll saw and bandsaw have small footprints. You just need a good vacuum cleaner. We ran a toy making business from our living room in a flat, then a rented house. Did OK for years before we got anything like a workshop.

Could work out better all around to move house if you're renting!? Move to somewhere you have more space or outdoor space for a shed....?

Agree with all the comments so far, but would add one other - gloves and machinery are a real no no. All to easy to lose a finger in just the sort of accident that concerns you, especially if fingers are a bit numb from cold anyway.
Indoors, or a rented garage sound like the most economical answer. Might even be able to run your small tools off a suitcase-type generator if you can't get a garage with power. Though that doesn't sort your heating problem, it has to be better than trying to work outside, even in sunny Easbourne.
(You wouldn't dream of doing it between October and May up here :( )

Some hilarious replies here, thanks for a laugh! The most probably answer is doing it indoors, but the times I've used my scroll saw indoors the air got really dusty. I had the Dyson hooked up as well as I could to the outlet thing, but finer sawdust comes off the surface. How do I fix that?

Latest posts

Back