How do you become a craftsman without an apprenticeship?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
An interesting topic this. In my lifetime I have seen varying degrees of craftsmanship, two people apply for the same post, one with the required pieces of paper & one 'self taught'. It is MORE than possible that the self taught individual is more talented, (i've seen it) but who would get the gig? The one with the paper of course.

I think the term 'Consultant' is a tool to charge more. A company I worked for in the past had one manager who 'retired', got all the payouts & then returned 6 months later as a 'consultant' at a greatly inflated rate of pay. BTW I don't think he was especially good at the job in the first place. Not to say he was hopeless, but no 'expert' (another over-used term) either.
O.K. we must have standards to which we need to adhere, but I say if you're capable then you should be given a chance.

Sorry for rambling on, it's me age y'know, I remember one time back in the 60's............................................................................. :D :D

Cheers, Sliver.

I've never grasped the American "rank structure"

Norm is a master carpenter - is this through training,practice,a title from a professional body, or something else ?

PowerTool":3rmazdqh said:
I've never grasped the American "rank structure"

Norm is a master carpenter - is this through training,practice,a title from a professional body, or something else ?

The program makers clearly admit that this is simply a made-up term they give to him

My understanding of the term is that to become a master carpenter, you must be capable of providing an apprenticeship or training. Doesn't mean you do, but that you could do. Certainly thats what my cousin in the states (who is a master carpenter) says and I think its a fair enough benchmark.

Cheers

Tim

Interesting question about Norm. The programme, and Norm, are from Massachusetts and they have all sorts of rules and regulations in the state about qualifications, so it wouldn't suprise me that 'master something' is actually a state term either.

My own experience -- I have a 'skilled' qualification from the old ETU (rack your brains back to the 60's if you can), and I was laid off in the US so wondered if I could resurect my electrician's qualifications. Not in MA ! Even though my employers recognised my UK university work. The state control board (yes they actually call it that) told me that my training was not recognised by them and that I'd have to do 2000 hours of work under supervision of a master electrician to get a licence to do electrical work in the state. Needless to say I didn't do it. They even licence hairdressers that way, too, which probably isn't a bad thing seeing how some people walk around the streets here after going to the barber's....

The thing about electrics in the US (MA anyway) is that you can do whatever you like in your own home (being aware that when you sell it if it doesn't match 'code' you could be liable - for anything) but you can't touch anything in a property that isn't yours. I couldn't even legally fit a plug for an elderly neigbour, although I did. Land of the free? Humbug!

Anyway, it's interesting that Norm is classed as a 'carpenter', master or not...

White House Workshop":1ghcn97q said:
Interesting question about Norm. The programme, and Norm, are from Massachusetts and they have all sorts of rules and regulations in the state about qualifications, so it wouldn't suprise me that 'master something' is actually a state term either.

As I posted earlier, it is not his qualification, it is a title given to him entirely by the program - this was in print in an interview with the producer, Morash

The following is a quote taken directly from the NYW website FAQs

In carpentry and cabinet making the term is applied informally and does not represent an official designation of any kind

Back