How can I turn wood-black

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I want a black edge on my bowl, I usually sand up to 320, then burn it with a small Camping Gaz burner, then turn the outside and inside of the bowl to get a sharp edge.

After oiling, it's permanently black and doesn't come off.

Leather dye works exceptionally well, (make sure you wear rubber gloves) shoe polish in a pinch. Marker pens will fad in time and turn a blueish tint. Mike

I really appreciate all the advice, but I'm getting mixed results. The leather dye is ok, but I'm not keen on the 'black'. The shellac made from old 78 soaked in meths is looking reasonable, after two coats, but not sure how it will buff. Pretty matte at the moment. I'm thinking 'stop whingeing and just turn blackwood'.

I left my metal filings for weeks in vinegar and absolutely nothing happened.

A work in progress for sure. Thanks people.

Hi Lightweeder, the full traditional method is to stain the wood first then the black polish over the top to give it depth, shellac will come to a high shine (take a look at pianos and M&M's) but takes plenty of practice and technique, (not implying you don't have them)perhaps a member with more experience knows a shortcut to buffing them up?
glad to be of help and good luck with your progress. chris

Lightweeder, This is the way l do it.

If you looking for a high gloss or satin finish use the leather dye, let it dry which does not take long then spray it with acrylic, lacquer spray or your favorite finish, once cured sand with 0000 steel wool and buff if you need a high gloss. Mike

soulboy":2oxu5p88 said:
Hi Lightweeder, the full traditional method is to stain the wood first then the black polish over the top to give it depth, shellac will come to a high shine (take a look at pianos and M&M's)

What! even the peanut ones :shock:

Mike Gibson":xepizgeu said:

If you looking for a high gloss or satin finish use the leather dye, let it dry which does not take long then spray it with acrylic, lacquer spray or your favorite finish, once cured sand with 0000 steel wool and buff if you need a high gloss. Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll try it. I never thought I could buff after spraying. Thanks for this. Having said that, if I'm going to spray the piece, I could use Terry's Chestnut spirit stain plus spray, or eboniser, couldn't I?

Lightweeder":1wsrkxwl said:
Mike Gibson":1wsrkxwl said:

Thanks Mike. I'll try it. I never thought I could buff after spraying. Thanks for this. Having said that, if I'm going to spray the piece, I could use Terry's Chestnut spirit stain plus spray, or eboniser, couldn't I?
Yes, but a word of caution on buffing, the finish has to be cured first, may tell you on the can or just leave it for a few days.

Latest posts

Back