I only want to turn wood into dowel, otherwise round bars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm turning my very first ever piece. I'm using the roughing gouge to make a blank from a more-or-less square piece. The "kickbacks" for want of a better term, have been stronger than I imagined. I think that is because there are splits in the wood I selected. It's fairly hard wood, but I can make a dent with my fingernail. I'd post a picture if I could find my camera cable. I'm turning at 810 RPM on an 60mm diameter piece.

Last edited:
This is sounding like you need to find a turner to show you how to get started. A bit of hands on teaching will get you there without injury and be way the fastest route. The kickbacks or catches indicate you are not riding the bevel of the tool. This question and answer on here will take you a long time to reach your goal and may get you injured in the process. Get along to a turning club or mens shed and learn the basics as a starting point. Turning is a great pastime but there is a learning curve. This is not meant to be rude or a put down but learning the basics with safety will set you up to enjoy turning.
Regards
John

Back