Hi there, from a lost soul awaiting direction....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fibbin Archie

Reaction score
I am Archie, Fibbin Archie (Colin to anyone that asks.) I am 64, Married to an American, nestling in green nowhere, UK midlands. I am a joiner by trade, retired, with Pancreatic Cancer, trying to complete a few dreams along the way....
I bought a fairly old but remarkably well made and in great condition machine. An Axminster CCL. I think. Nevertheless, I am in the process of having a mess about, some 25mm dowels initially, and today I put a piece of 4x2 pine on the face plate and turned into a round...er...thing. I was a bit perturbed that when I tried the parting tool to slice off an 8mm plate from the face with the tool, in what I believed was the correct presentation to the workpiece, when I'll be blowed, the wood started smoking? Then the tool blued up at the tip? I have watched tons of videos on turning, always take on aboard anything I am told is the way to go, but I never dreamed this would happen. I can't think why? Possibly the tool was dull? Perhaps I am a buffoon? The speed was too fast? I am flummoxed for more suggestions although the buffoon one seems to be in the lead so far.
Help, guidance, honest critique, I have been there tales, even "you did what!?" Are all OK, as are expletives when necessary?
As long as it moves me on.
Actually, one more comes to mind, how about rubbish tools. I did just buy them from Ebay for mickey mouse money, just to get me started. That does seem another possible, just shows how cheap I am....
Cheers
Colin (FA)

Welcome Archie , wow quite an introduction- you must have the writers flow in you as I wasn’t sure if I should laugh, cry or just feel sorry for your efforts. Although I probably can’t help much with your turning woes as I don’t have a lathe or know much of the subject . pardon the pun ( but in your own style sounds like your tool is blunt ☹️☹️☹️— again though welcome- lots of turners here to put you right..

Hey Archie
Sorry to hear about your medical issues but you sound like a real character and clearly have a sense of humour.

Expletives will help you but won't cure the overheating, I usually utter the words "oh deary me" :ROFLMAO:
It's down to the tool being blunt though asuming you use a parting tool a lack of clearance at the sides of the cut could also be a contributing factor, you need to wiggle the tool very slightly side to side or take a second cut alongside to widen the cut. If you have a grinding wheel grind a little off the sides of the parting tool to give relief.

Is there a mens shed or turners club within reach? that would help you more than any advice on here, failing that watch some youtube videos, there are hundreds to choose from.

All the best for the future - OH and buy a fire extinguisher. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Welcome Archie , wow quite an introduction- you must have the writers flow in you as I wasn’t sure if I should laugh, cry or just feel sorry for your efforts. Although I probably can’t help much with your turning woes as I don’t have a lathe or know much of the subject . pardon the pun ( but in your own style sounds like your tool is blunt ☹️☹️☹️— again though welcome- lots of turners here to put you right..
Bingy man... Thanks for the reply. I can see you read my post, so many people are not open to the experience....
One thing I noticed, you are Wolverhampton, I am Penkridge. Just up by the senior school.
I have repurposed my garage into a workshop, even so, I will always think of it as a garage. While cars never go there, the name is a bit of a stretch, it is full of some great tools though to feed my insatiable hunger for workshop machinery, I will always want more.
Finding the piece of Birch literally on my drive was a sign that someone up there lay it in my lap. I am now going to scour our local regional wood repository,
or Cannock Chase as it is known to some, in the hope of finding suitable blank pieces to add to my collection of one I have so far amassed.

For the sake of itself, the tools I have bought over the last two years of cancer:
Large pillar drill
Mortice machine attachments for the drill
Transverse cross-sliding tables for the morticing kit
Scroll fret saw
Chop saw on stand
Table saw
Band saw
Wood lathe
Router table
Battery circular saw
Jig saw
Angle grinder
Bosch hammer drill
Belt sander
Bench grinder
grib.jpg
ang.png
drilb.png
belt.png
circ.png
tab.png
bst.png
slide.png
scroll.png
jigs.png

In addition to those 10, here are some more. Spent ages doing the photos, but what the heck? It might be good if a few more guys made a list of their kit. What do they have and what do they want?
On top of this stuff there is a mountain of hand tools...

Attachments

• mort.png
    mort.png
    685 KB · Views: 0
  • rouit.png
    rouit.png
    534.9 KB · Views: 0
  • sawch.png
    sawch.png
    882.8 KB · Views: 0
  • lat.png
    lat.png
    764.6 KB · Views: 0
  • drillp.jpg
    drillp.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fret.png
    fret.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • chisels.jpg
    chisels.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
In addition to those 10, here are some more. Spent ages doing the photos, but what the heck? It might be good if a few more guys made a list of their kit. What do they have and what do they want?
On top of this stuff there is a mountain of hand tools...
Hi Archie, I take my hat off to you , 2 years dealing with cancer can not of been easy in any way but you seem to have found a way with tools ,, awesome collection btw -👍👍 a building that has no cars but lots of tools is in my opinion a workshop after all a rose by any other name . I say this because mine is no more than a 3 x3 mtr converted bedroom as my actual plans for a self built shop went sailing away with my x Mrs . I actually found this site a few years back but didn’t sign up until just over a year ago as my mental health had taken a severe battering . It’s a great way to get help and advice but for me the best part is helping others even if it’s a simple problem ( it’s only simple if you know the answer of course) I’m mainly self taught but will try anything within my comfort zone and sometimes just outside of it . Yes I’m just up the rd in Wolverhampton and I used to work in penkridge/ Wheaton Aston / Cannock and rugely to name but a few .hope you stick around as there is a good crowd here they are always willing to help 😊😊😊

Hi Archie, I take my hat off to you , 2 years dealing with cancer can not of been easy in any way but you seem to have found a way with tools ,, awesome collection btw -👍👍 a building that has no cars but lots of tools is in my opinion a workshop after all a rose by any other name . I say this because mine is no more than a 3 x3 mtr converted bedroom as my actual plans for a self built shop went sailing away with my x Mrs . I actually found this site a few years back but didn’t sign up until just over a year ago as my mental health had taken a severe battering . It’s a great way to get help and advice but for me the best part is helping others even if it’s a simple problem ( it’s only simple if you know the answer of course) I’m mainly self taught but will try anything within my comfort zone and sometimes just outside of it . Yes I’m just up the rd in Wolverhampton and I used to work in penkridge/ Wheaton Aston / Cannock and rugely to name but a few .hope you stick around as there is a good crowd here they are always willing to help 😊😊😊
I have just noticed that I have two, yes, two user names. One that I started the other day and one from way back? It's strange how the server let them both exist. That seems to be a theme with me just recently. I have a debit card with two, yes, two pin numbers. Having visited the bank to straighten this out, I put too much faith in commonsense which, with malice aforesight eludes me. I try my hardest to keep things simple but regardless of my softly softly approach, Lady Luck once more vomits on my eiderdown.
I am taking your words of encouragement to steer my path down the "I just bought a lathe, now what?" And see how we go.
Like cheers, Bingy

Also, here is a picture of a Scotch egg.
I hope it helps....
Colin

scotch-eggs.jpg

I have just noticed that I have two, yes, two user names. One that I started the other day and one from way back? It's strange how the server let them both exist. That seems to be a theme with me just recently. I have a debit card with two, yes, two pin numbers. Having visited the bank to straighten this out, I put too much faith in commonsense which, with malice aforesight eludes me. I try my hardest to keep things simple but regardless of my softly softly approach, Lady Luck once more vomits on my eiderdown.
I am taking your words of encouragement to steer my path down the "I just bought a lathe, now what?" And see how we go.
Like cheers, Bingy

Also, here is a picture of a Scotch egg.
I hope it helps....
Colin

View attachment 166431
tbh I’ve been out most of the day helping a friend remove overgrown conifers- when I replied I then scrolled back to check the user name as I didn’t recognise it , scratched head a few times but told myself you must of changed it. Not a fan of scotch eggs but as a wannabe home chef they do look good. I’m all for a simple life but often wonder why thing’s always get so complex and difficult..

Back