Coffee Table WIP(sort of)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Started this a while ago as a side project and forgot about it so no photos up to this point but thought would share as quite like how it has turned out so far. It is Sapele, which was left over from a job for a customer. The folds/grooves were power carved using a grinder and then lots of sanding before applying a coat of Walnut Gel Stain and then a coat of Black Bison Teak Wax. Needs another coat and a good buffing.

It will have a glass top on it sitting on top of oak pegs which will be stained using vinegar and wire wool to get a nice dark colour. The legs, I think will be square a steel section, which will be a good chance to have a go at a bit of welding which I have not tried before. need to get back to paid work so will not happen for a bit but will try and post as a I go.

Coffe table 1.jpg
Coffee table 2.jpg
Coffee table 4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Kev

Love it, I want to rub my hands all over it and roll marbles down the channels.

I do wonder if it’ll move oddly with the seasons, could be worth a couple of c- channels in the back to keep it flat.

Love it, I want to rub my hands all over it and roll marbles down the channels.

I do wonder if it’ll move oddly with the seasons, could be worth a couple of c- channels in the back to keep it flat.
Was wondering that myself. Had been in the workshop for about 6 months and little or no movement but think you might be right.

I bet that was dusty and therapeutic at times. I don't really see a need to worry about movement as nothing is flat or connected to anything else so it can float. As long as the connections to the legs allow some movement you're golden.

Pete

I bet that was dusty and therapeutic at times. I don't really see a need to worry about movement as nothing is flat or connected to anything else so it can float. As long as the connections to the legs allow some movement you're golden.

Pete
It was somewhat dusty but did most of the heavy sanding round the back of the workshop, again using grinder with a 40 grit sanding disc. Its one of those pieces that if you wanted to make to sell would have to charge the price of a small family car to make it worthwhile!

That's a very nice piece - I'm not always a fan of sapele as I find it a bit plain, but you've really made that pop 👍

Beautiful piece, reminds me of ripples on a beach, never had much luck with vinegar and wire wool, even after weeks of research and experimentation the best I got was navy blue.
This dye is brill, just a few drops in poly varnish. Not expensive at all and comes in loads of colours
DA3D3294-C941-48D4-B866-7DF84DB3230D.jpeg

Beautiful piece, reminds me of ripples on a beach, never had much luck with vinegar and wire wool, even after weeks of research and experimentation the best I got was navy blue.
This dye is brill, just a few drops in poly varnish. Not expensive at all and comes in loads of colours
View attachment 118818
I also have had mixed results with vinegar and wool particularly with consistency of colour even when its the same piece of wood. When it does work it is an amazing finish. Will certainly keep those dyes in mind though.

Why go to the trouble of Vinegar/wire wool or even dye on Oak when Dark woods like African Blackwood, Leadwood, Wenge etc. are easily available? it's not as if you need to source a large piece. The amount you need would cost pennies.

Why go to the trouble of Vinegar/wire wool or even dye on Oak when Dark woods like African Blackwood, Leadwood, Wenge etc. are easily available? it's not as if you need to source a large piece. The amount you need would cost pennies.
Black wood would be good yes and as you say I dont need a lot but just fancied using oak and vinegar, dont do it very often and always bits of oak hanging around the workshop so why not. If it doesn't work then I think you are right about the blackwood way forward. Would have to drive a fair way to find anyone who has some around here (I'm guessing Styles and Bates would be closest place for me but still about 35 - 40 miles) and not a big fans of ordering woods online but as I say certainly won't discount it.

'Kent' is not that large but you may be in Dartford, Thanet or even the south tip of Folkstone & Hythe but Tonbridge could be worth a visit.

https://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk/wood-turners-blanks.html
That's the first page I found on a 10 second google search.

I picked up some 10mm thick Burbinga from here 2 - 3 years ago when visiting my sister in Rayleigh (I'm based way up in the midlands). They were very accommodating letting me wander around their stock selecting what I needed but I doubt that's likely in the current climate.

EDIT : - I've now seen that they have Blackwood Pen Blanks @ £3.30

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back