Stain Medite MR MDF black

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goesbysteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I‘m looking to stain my MR MDF MFT top black for better contrast and to provide some additional moisture resistance. The MDF I have is the green dyed version. Can anyone recommend a product or combination that will give me a reasonably dark black/grey whilst also sealing? I need the surface friction to stay close to how it would feel without so items still stay put easily. I had been advices not to use a water based product.

thanks,

Steve.

If you can't get "Valcormat" then you would need to sand the surface with -320-400g and then use an alkaline type dye
…..I would prefer that but this is a ready drilled MFT top and I can’t opt for a different material.
You do need to put a finish on top to keep it in good condition
Can I use danish oil or would you suggest something else to seal it?

yeah, just wipe on - leave for a couple of minutes and wipe off with some kitchen roll and then leave to fully dry and cure

dont forget to do the holes too

Hello! Just wondering how you got on with your staining as interested in doing something similar

I actually haven’t gotten around to it yet. I decided to grab a piece of MDF to test them out. I will post back here once I have. It won’t be for a few weeks though As I’m decorating the house.

I've used Indian Ink as a black stain on quite a few types of wood - MDF needed to be slighly abraded for it to take. I only did quite a small piece, how it would fare on the area of an MFT I don't know. Upside is that it's very cheap :)

I've used Indian Ink as a black stain on quite a few types of wood - MDF needed to be slighly abraded for it to take. I only did quite a small piece, how it would fare on the area of an MFT I don't know. Upside is that it's very cheap :)
Interesting, i have a huge bottle here. Did you then seal it with something?

Yes - a couple of coats of the ink, leave to dry thoroughly and then "sealed" with cheap acrylic varnish (really cheap, I buy it at B&M Stores!)

i Was looking at danish oil but maybe shellac. I just didn’t want a surface that might actually lie on top rather than sink in and seal from within.

Back