hot spot stove

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
has anyone got a stove from the hot spot, which always advertises in the woodturning magazine
I am thinking of putting a woodburner in the garage/workshop??

thanks
Petra

do it we have one at work they are very good but..... the metal on the drum is quite thin and can glow red and this is not good as if you keep it like that for a time it will burn through, but aslong as you keep an eye on it its fine, also when you fill it up with dust beware it explodes and shoots flames out of the holes :twisted:. also theres a nack to using them but you soon get used to that aswell.

I prefer my pot belly stove to a Hotspot for burning scraps and offcuts but Hotspots are better for burning sawdust, I think theyre are a bit flimsy and youll probably find the grate in the bottom disintegrates.
I found the 2 vent covers needed some fine tuning to get it just right for making good heat.
But when you remove the outer ring on top its a very handy space for covering with a frying pan, Friday Lunch times we had bacon baps and hotdogs and burgers :D

One thing i will reccomend is putting a slowish blowing fan as high as you can in your ceiling, It keeps your whole workshop a much better temperature and not just heat up the roofspace.

Petra,

They are really good, try and keep as much of the flue inside before it exits the workshop...It adds to the heat output.

The smell of bacon in the workshop makes a change too 8)

Paul

morris":3eji62xo said:
Hello everyone
has anyone got a stove from the hot spot, which always advertises in the woodturning magazine
I am thinking of putting a woodburner in the garage/workshop??

thanks
Petra

I've had one for about 10 years in my double garage and it is excellent (I bought the second size up from memory). When I purchased it I bought a couple of extra lengths of flue and last year used them to replace the bottom sections that had completely rusted through.

Every couple of years I take the flue off, and give it a good clean - it's suprising how much better it works when the flue isnt clogged!

Normally I burn the DIY offcuts and the bags of sawdust from my lathe turning - both burn very well but be ready for the 'exposion' with sawdust. If using sawdust make a chute or similar to use when refilling, don't tip from the bag.

If you intend to use one every day then you need to look a the bigger ones as that they can be filled up and damped right down at night and still have a glimmer in the morning. I'm DIY so only fire it at weekends and when I expect to be in the garage for some hours - it takes about 15-30mins to warm the garage up.

As a DIYer the offucuts during the year see me through the winter weekends (just about)

didnt one of our members post a DIY stove using an old gas cylinder in the distant past, cant recall who or when and am unable to find it in the search.
just a thought...

Hello all
this will give me something to think about. Has anyone had something to do with the potbelly stoves in Machinemart, they seem okay or should I just go up the allotment??

thanks again for all your replys
Petra

What's the law on woodburners? Are they considered a pollutant in some areas? Does anyone know?

I think I would use the sawdust and shavings as kindling, rather than chuck it onto a burning fire mind!

:lol:

I have the PM2 which is thick gauge steel with a cast iron grid. I find it great and not at all flimsy. I burn shavings, sawdust and off cuts no problem. There is definitely a nack to them for instance if you fill it with sawdust light it from the top not the bottom. keep the flue clean by giving it a good (but not too good) bash with a hammer or the tool they give you to rake out the ashes from time to time.

I stood mine on a 3' x2' concrete paving slab and placed another two on the walls this stops the wooden floor and the walls getting too hot!

One year when we had a power cut on New Years eve, I cooked dinner for the dinner party we had planned on it. It did a brilliant slow roast (5 hours). Saved the day and gave the party a unique focus!

Mine cost about 100 plusasimilar sum for the flue bits and pieces. you need to watch the height of the flue but the hotspots website tells you the rules.

I do not know whether they are allowed in smokeless zones - probably not.

Firstly the machine mart stoves. They do not carry spares. big drawback.

I got a Sun stove from Ebay last year, identical to the hotspot but cheaper....its easy to light, air control is good, got a griddle plate with it for BBQ, often kept it "in" all night so easy to get going next day, burns wood and sawdust equally well,
But at the heat output of 4kw (I think) for the smallest size, IE same as smallest Hotspot, which is roughly 12/14000 BTU it just could not heat my place up unless it had been on all day.
So I gave it away to a friend who is setting up shop in his garage and it should be fine there.
I am going to buy a stove ( cast iron) before next winter, aiming for 25ish KW and seen some good ones with airwash and available spares, firebrick lined etc for the same money as the machine mart ones.

So for the time being its back to jet heater and a 47 kilo propane tank.

Same stoves again under another brand. and confirms the 4KW output for the smaller one.
I would need the largest one from that range to heat my place but for the same money almost can get the cast iron stove I mentioned earlier and thats multifuel....

The most expensive part of my setup was not the stove but the flue.....I got the insulated double skinned section for through the roof, the weather flange/gasket, rainhood, plus about 2 mtrs of stovepipe, and that was about £400:00. Fortunately all that will do for the next stove.

But for the smaller workshop, or better insulated, the HotSpot, or whatever name it goes under is a great little stove.

NeilO":gzhyqc34 said:
didnt one of our members post a DIY stove using an old gas cylinder in the distant past, cant recall who or when and am unable to find it in the search.
just a thought...

Yes, I remember that, it sparked a whole discussion on safety :)

I use a home made one (Not made by me) it is one metre in length and half metre diam.

I think they are good, but new users should be aware that they consume an awesome amount of wood, but if it'll burn sawdust as well that helps.

Back