Horological forum or is there someone here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Some years back I obtained the clock mechanism, weights and pendulum from a Vienna style clock. Sadly like many projects one particular element stalled me and it got set aside - I would like to be polite and admit to that as a personal weakness but suspect that I am not that unique!

The mechanism, with the assistance of a book, was dismantled and cleaned; the bearings seemed in good enough order, and it birled sweetly enough when re-sassembled. My problem was the degree of wear on the pallets which have collected a noticeable groove - it still puzzles me as to why the steel wears and not the brass escapement wheel.

Anyway I need guidance on these pallets, and would apprectiate re-direction to a suitable clock forum, or if there is someone local that could help that would be great.
Rob

I didn’t know what a clock pallet was so I put it into google and there are adverts for packets of them – doubt any of them will fit but you never know. Ian
I suppose you could even make them out of hardwood as John Harrison did - The worlds most accurate clock of the time.

Ian - you are clearly too young for this forum otherwise you would have known!! :D :D I hadn't thought of looking for replacements that way but I might be lucky to get something.

I'll post back when I get an answer to the unexpected wear.

Bod - many thanks for the link.

Rob

When I was at school (when God was a lad), I remember my metalwork teacher telling us that when a hard metal and a softer metal were in sliding contact it was always the hard metal which wore away the most. He said this was because tiny fragments of the hard metal became embedded in the soft metal and acted as an abrasive. Sounded plausible to a 14 year old.

Used to work in a warehouse, pallet forks meant something else in there. Some of the drivers were quite balanced mind, but can't remember any of them being jewelled, not even any rough diamonds....

Latest posts

Back