Horizontal boring machine: video now up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im after a dowel drilling machine i can use to drill accurate dowels into stick on glazing bars/beads to make up frames, to look like smaller glazing bars, but are stuck onto the glass.

Something like this would be brilliant, but obviously in the Uk.

Many thNks.

I did see something similar ; it was actually a UPVC manufacturing window machine that had been adapted (think it was just a matter of changing collets!) to take a half inch router bit (boring bit). It was a Felisatti, I think. It was being used to rout out sections for metal inserts (like hinges and such). It may be worth your looking into, maybe a 2nd hand machine might be available.
There is also Matthias Wandel - although I think maybe this is a bit Heath Robinson for your needs. Not exactly right either.

Anyway, hope this helps

Caz

Bradshaw Joinery":2jwup73h said:
Hi guys, im after a dowel drilling machine i can use to drill accurate dowels into stick on glazing bars/beads to make up frames, to look like smaller glazing bars, but are stuck onto the glass.

Something like this would be brilliant, but obviously in the Uk.

Many thNks.

I assume you mean Astragal bars? Surface mount moulded "Georgian" style bars fitted to the sash with dowels?

As said above, I'd look at second hand uPVC machinary and change the collet to fit a normal 2 flute router bit.

When I was fabricating I used to have a Pressta Eisele from Germany. Much better machine than the American Felisatti machines.

Try Apex Auctions, they tend to have a monopoly on machinary from bankrupt uPVC companies. Another option is Selecta Systems in Great Barr, Birmingham (round the corner from me), they sell refurbished machinary.

That looks like a real bargain for £100, prob cost 20x new and it looks hardly worn. I can remember using a very old version of one of these at Bucks college -Rye were based in the same town, High Wycombe.

I picked this machine up on monday, and what a quality piece of equipment. Everysingle part on it works and is complete. Nonair leaks whatsoever, it even had a plug and airline fitting included!

It works in exactly the same way as a domino, just instead of wobbling there are two drills. The college said they havent used it for 4 years since buying a domino machine..... Probably a healt and safety thing!

I will get a video up at the weekend hopefully

So, Here is the video of the boring machine!

really impressed with the quality of the item, and how everything works, including Zero air leaks. I have done a little fine tuning to it already, no doubt more to follow.

I added a spring to the return side of the stop, a spring from a car exhaust coupler actually, shortened some hoses to get them the same length, asked my brother nicely to make me a trolley for it, added castors, a mounting for the regulator and a shelf for the foot pedal. all it needs now is some longer boring bits, a new table/fence, and some work.

The pneumatic's are quite cool, the forward speed is adjustable by the amount you press the foot pedal down, there is a adjustable stop to trim this, or it can be metered by the operator, the return speed and the clamping pressure is set to the regulator pressure. hence adding the spring to stop it slamming at 80PSI. the clamp operates first then the slide moves forward. the camp remains clamped until the head has returned on releasing of the pedal. pretty clever stuff.

Sorry about the background noise... i was invading my Brothers Workshop!

http://youtu.be/M_WJXBqtvNU

excellent. what a great buy for £100. I fancy one even though I have a 51 head borer. what's the hopper above the head for?

nathan

Video Re-Uploaded,

haha Nathan! We can never have enough Kit!

Its a dust extraction port, there was a spiral flex sitting between the back of the fence and the cutter head, that compressed when working, i removed it for the video...

Bradshaw Joinery":2x84dfe7 said:
Video Re-Uploaded,

haha Nathan! We can never have enough Kit!

Its a dust extraction port, there was a spiral flex sitting between the back of the fence and the cutter head, that compressed when working, i removed it for the video...

:norm:

I am a bit weird but this is weird for me, I shall tell anyway, one of my favourite dreams is me in a massive workshop full of stuff like this happily making anything not holey into holey things, generally reducing big into little etc I will leave some details out but the point is you have confirmed to me this is not unrealistic and despite what she says I still think it would be a great present idea! Thanks for that and have fun being more productive, what a great machine!

Have ust had a chance to look round the site again and the main point of logging on was to say thanks for the other posts, just been learning something about doors and windows I have :)

Dean.

DMF":s71pou94 said:
I am a bit weird but this is weird for me, I shall tell anyway, one of my favourite dreams is me in a massive workshop full of stuff like this happily making anything not holey into holey things, generally reducing big into little etc I will leave some details out but the point is you have confirmed to me this is not unrealistic and despite what she says I still think it would be a great present idea! Thanks for that and have fun being more productive, what a great machine!

Have ust had a chance to look round the site again and the main point of logging on was to say thanks for the other posts, just been learning something about doors and windows I have :)

Dean.

Haha Thanks for that dean. Tbh we all have a little bit of that in us! The enjoyment of using/watching somethign that is doing what it was designed to do in a well manner is great. Like Carving a stick up with a sharp knife watching/feeling the shavings peeling off, we used to spend hours as kids with our pocket knives on the farm, chiselling stuff. even things we werent meant to be, which didnt go down well.

Latest posts

Back