Home insurance when working professionally from home

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
I will soon be working from home as a cabinet maker. I want to make sure that I have sufficient home insurance to cover this for the building and standard household contents (I've been here before in my previous occupation) - I'm not looking for insurance for tools and stock as I will get that elsewhere (been talking to NFU about it already).

My current home insurance company won't insure me because they say that storing wood is a high fire risk and that they won't cover our house for it. Fair enough, Direct Line aren't in it for this kind of thing.

So I'm looking for insurance that covers the building and standard contents if say the house burns down starting anywhere - in the house, or the workshop (which is garage) etc.

I have other insurance policies with NFU so will phone them tomorrow about home insurance. However, I guess I'm not the only one who does this, could anyone else suggest home insurance companies that permit working from home when working with wood?

I have no idea of anyone to recommend but if your present company regards the timber as an increased fire hazard, mine did too, why not move it or store it further away, I did, which nullified their argument!

A free standing storage facility, i.e. shed, can be well away from the house?

Regards Peter.

In my case they insist on having a fire extinguisher which has to be serviced every year, a barrier around the stove and and grillis and a steel sheet over the fire escape door, good pad locks etc. You will need cover for public liability insurance if you have customers coming in to your workshop and so on.

Back