Holy smoke !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spent the morning tackling a fire in my workshop :shock: :shock:
Seems someone has had a sneaky cigarette and chucked it down the side of the fence into some leaves :x :x next door and i are in talks at the moment :x :x :x :x

So are you OK, apart from the shock?

How much damage has the shop taken?

Is there anything any of us can do to help?

JFC,
Hope the damage is limited and covered by insurance.
I'd always been concerned about the fire risk of wooden workshops - mine included but have never before considered that the source would be outside.

Andy

Hi JFC.

Sorry to hear about the fire. Hope all is OK.

I have very limited tools, but if there is anything I can do to help just ask.

ATB Gary.

hope all is ok and heres not to much damage.
my shed is very close to an ally way where kids hang out always worry that that might happen. not insured :?

JFC
Like all have already said, if there is any thing I can do let me know.
I hope there is not to much damage and you are ok.

:D If there is anything i can do let me know I have spare saw and thickness/ planer if you need it your be welcome

martyn

Hi JFC,
like everybody else I hope nothing important suffered and you are Ok. Please feel to get in touch if I can be of any help, not sure where in London you are but if I'm convenient for you don't hesitate.
I really feel for you as I live in constant fear of youfs at the back of my workshop doing something stupid - touch wood nothing to date but sometimes I feel it's only a matter of time.

Mark

Wow ! Thanks everyone :D Luckily i had a few mates around to use the workshop and we caught it before it really took hold . Also i crammed every void with rockwool and that also stopped it spreading .
It still left a hole around 500mm high and 400mm wide where it burnt through the shiplap then a 100mmx50mm and then an 18mm sheet of ply , and thats with rockwool in the void !
If i didn't have fire extinguishers we wouldn't have stopped it i know that much .
No tools lost , and no one hurt , Thank god on both counts .
Ive spent the day cleaning out the dust and chucking out all the rubbish that will never get used , if the fire had got in and caught hold of the dust :cry:
Thanks again for all the kind offers , pms and phone calls :D Your a great bunch of people :D

JFC - glad all is ok - and very touching to see all the genuine offers of help.
What a great forum :D

Andrew

Not nice. I really hope you get things back to normal quickly. Good to hear you got extinguishers, too.
Best wishes.

SF

If it wasn't for the extinguishers im sure it would have spread ! The foam one put out the fire but it sparked up again . The powder one seriously smothered everything including my face :oops: :lol:
There was also two hose pipes that came in later but it really was the extinguishers that saved the day and i wish i had more of them at the time .
Ill be investing in 3 more powder ones and 3 more foam ones .
Just for reference the powder one was a 3kg dry powder
Foam was a 5.5 l gas cartridge type
They stopped flames licking about 8ft high and licking around the corner in the roof void about another 6ft .

JFC
I would also keep an eye out on Lidls as there do them all the time for a good price :)
I think I will get one more of mine.

Jeez, sounds frightening. It is scary how fast a fire spreads when it gets set like that.

Nicely rescued.

Back