Holly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
No not red dwarf but the wood, I got some from a chap in Hadleigh, £10 for this lot:
3518553593_e66352408a.jpg

One of the long boards is 1" the rest are 2".
Found him though Ebay, he has some more for sale, give me a shout if you are interested.
Fist bit on to the lathe was a bit of a disaster:
3518554591_9f6c9b69fa.jpg

One last skim of the inside to finish it, was it really was finished, that was never going to be a bowl. :roll:
But all was not lost, I put it back on the chuck and turned the opening in the bottom to match the one in the top, so now it is a bangle. :D
3518559639_0c6d550b7e.jpg

Not quite as smooth on the inside as I would have liked but I think it is OK.
3518560697_9565aa9cc5.jpg

Next I have made a pot pourri for my sisters birthday.
3519373270_62642f4aaf.jpg

3519374304_119f5e496e.jpg

This will be the first time I am ahead of the game for her present, over 2 months early. \:D/

I would never have thought of putting pewter in a wood as pale as Holly but it works. Also looks very feminine if that makes sense.

pete

Funnily enough I was formulating a plan last night to have a go at a bangle. I think yours has come out really nice.

If you fancy boxing me a few blanks up and posting, I'd be interested Dave. Come to think of it I might be coming back your way soonish.

Either way I'll take some pls.

Good save on the bangle!! =D> I am after some holly myself. was it a pick up job? because it is along way to suffolk from here! :lol: :lol:

mrs. sliver":d5hgg170 said:
I am after some holly myself. was it a pick up job? because it is along way to suffolk from here! :lol: :lol:
Yes I picked the timber up, how much do you want and in what sort of shape, round blanks or squares?
I could pick some up, rough cut it down to size and post it on to you, no idea on postage costs but we could investigate. :-k

Dave. I'm formulating a plan to come up your way the Sunday after next. So I might drop in and purchase a couple of blanks. If that doesn't work out then I'll pay additional postage. Just want a couple of small bowl blanks to experience turning with Holly.

wizer":1mo63ssb said:
I'm formulating a plan to come up your way the Sunday after next.
Is it a cunning plan? Does it involve more Oak? I might have to plan a visit as well.
So I might drop in
Well its not much of a plan if you don't visit.
and purchase a couple of blanks. If that doesn't work out then I'll pay additional postage. Just want a couple of small bowl blanks to experience turning with Holly.
Bowl blank are not a problem, remember it is only 2" thick.

DaveL":jgp3vjtl said:
I picked the timber up, how much do you want and in what sort of shape, round blanks or squares?
I could pick some up, rough cut it down to size and post it on to you, no idea on postage costs but we could investigate. :-k

With the shallow depth, I am thinking of it for segmenting. so it would be strips ideally. so, whatever depth by about an inch in a strip. but it sort of depends on postage. it may just be cheaper to get off my bum and go get some! :D

Back