Hinge pins for boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JandK

Established Member
Reaction score
I could make that by hand in stainless but it would be easier in brass, it’s just a case of getting the right size springs I suppose, if you were really confident of your work you wouldn’t need to put the grooves on the pins and once it’s together it’s together if you know what I mean ha ha
Edit, or a needle sized hole through the outside wall of the box to push one of the pins so that you could remove the whole lot, a little bit of wax in the hole and I don’t think anybody would really see it?

I could make that by hand in stainless but it would be easier in brass, it’s just a case of getting the right size springs I suppose, if you were really confident of your work you wouldn’t need to put the grooves on the pins and once it’s together it’s together if you know what I mean ha ha
Edit, or a needle sized hole through the outside wall of the box to push one of the pins so that you could remove the whole lot, a little bit of wax in the hole and I don’t think anybody would really see it?
Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of just getting brass rod and the correct size of compression springs. I am not really worried about groves for disassembly. I used dowels before with halve of it turned to a smaller diameter but its not a very satisfactory solution.

Grooves would be simple on a lathe even just a wood lathe but you could also cut shallow grooves with a handsaw. Personally I would have them because sods law I'd want to be able to take the lid off as I usually mess up first time:)

Back