Hi from Ontario, Canada

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Ellison

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I am a retired mechanical engineer and have a wood/metal shop in my basement. Got into buying and refurbishing old tools...power hand tools, hand planes, axes, hammers, drill presses, pipe wrenches and somehow got right into vises (or vices). Have well over 150 waiting for me to work on. Spend over half my time researching old vise (vice) companies from Canada, USA, England and Europe to help me figure out what is worth the effort and age. There have been many UK companies providing vises (vices) to Canada and also influenced the design of local manufacturers as well. Looking for catalog pages and company information sources to help me with my hobby. I think there are vice designs sold in Canada, built in England, but not sold in England and originally not sold in USA. Have lots of good info to share with you as well.....
Dave,

Welcome to the forum Dave.
Should you be tight on space you could send me a pattern makers vice, especially a Tucker, and I'll keep it nice and dry in my heated shop for you. 😇

Pete

Welcome to the forum Dave.
Should you be tight on space you could send me a pattern makers vice, especially a Tucker, and I'll keep it nice and dry in my heated shop for you. 😇

Pete
Mostly into metal working vises, not Tuckers or Emmerts or undermount woodworking vises. Just run into Lee Valley and pick up their version of the Tucker vise. Thank you though !

Mostly into metal working vises, not Tuckers or Emmerts or undermount woodworking vises. Just run into Lee Valley and pick up their version of the Tucker vise. Thank you though !

I was joking Dave. I would never expect anyone to waltz up and give me a vise. As for LV, they only made around a thousand Tuckers if that and today they command $2,000 and up if you can find one. Metal working, I only have a 4" Record bench vise and a couple 4" Kurt machinist vises for the mill. My other vises........that a subject for another day. 😉

Pete

I was joking Dave. I would never expect anyone to waltz up and give me a vise. As for LV, they only made around a thousand Tuckers if that and today they command $2,000 and up if you can find one. Metal working, I only have a 4" Record bench vise and a couple 4" Kurt machinist vises for the mill. My other vises........that a subject for another day. 😉

Pete
I knew you were joking. No problem. Dave.

Welcome Dave.
I've just indulged myself by buying a little 5" Brockhaus Heuer "front" vice. I rather like it.
Where (how) do you store 150+ vices ? Doesn't that fill a barn ?

Nice vise. I tried to buy one at auction but did not get it. 1 inch to 7 inch jaw widths. Stored in my basement. Have some shelves...not enough. Rest just line the floor. Family not happy about it. Need to refurb faster but have been ill lately....

To partially keep my wife happy, I document what I bought and where with photos and also indicate if it was part of a multi-destination trip. Ultimately when I refurbish it and sell it, I reference when/where and price. I don't factor in gas, travel time or refurb time (and materials). I'm not crazy.....really..... Sold a few as is but was part of some other transaction. That is not why I buy them. Also have a lot of catalog pages, patent info, articles and advertisements from the various makers and digging into more and am happy to share that info when needed.

To partially keep my wife happy, I document what I bought and where with photos and also indicate if it was part of a multi-destination trip. Ultimately when I refurbish it and sell it, I reference when/where and price. I don't factor in gas, travel time or refurb time (and materials). I'm not crazy.....really..... Sold a few as is but was part of some other transaction. That is not why I buy them. Also have a lot of catalog pages, patent info, articles and advertisements from the various makers and digging into more and am happy to share that info when needed.
I must agree with you. The satisfaction of seeing the transformation, rusty old item to usable tool is great, whether you sell them or not.

I have a Reed 405 swivel rear jaw, swivel base as my main vise (traded out my Woden 3). Also have a Record 2075 little vise on another bench, a Stanley 702 inline, a Woden 1 on a wooden table that I can clamp into an undermount wood working vise. Bench dogs, bench dog clamps and holdfasts for my wood working bench. And about 100 bar clamps of various sizes and some wood hand screws. But I have a few in my refurbish pile that I will likely keep because they will look great......maybe a display? shhhhh...

I have a Reed 405 swivel rear jaw, swivel base as my main vise (traded out my Woden 3). Also have a Record 2075 little vise on another bench, a Stanley 702 inline, a Woden 1 on a wooden table that I can clamp into an undermount wood working vise. Bench dogs, bench dog clamps and holdfasts for my wood working bench. And about 100 bar clamps of various sizes and some wood hand screws. But I have a few in my refurbish pile that I will likely keep because they will look great......maybe a display? shhhhh...
The little Record 2075 is a gem :)

I had a little clamp on vise on that bench but bought two 2075s and thought what a great vise for hold small items and for soldering things etc. Swivels and you can turn the head around for wider items.

Attachments

• 20200126_174203_resized.jpg
    20200126_174203_resized.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200126_174241_resized.jpg
    20200126_174241_resized.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200126_174432_resized.jpg
    20200126_174432_resized.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
They are great for small jobs and I use mine regularly for holding things while soldering. It's screwed to a piece of birch ply so that it can be quickly clamped to any bench or table but there's enough weight in the vice to use as-is for many jobs.

ebay is your friend for a new set of jaws - machined from aluminium or even 3D printed in plastic.

I was going to make a new set out of MDF on my router table. Next option is to get some thick plastic and try that.

Back