Hello from Alderney, Channel Islands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoddguy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been in the commercial building industry for a few years and have just started a bench joinery apprenticeship. I'm top of my class (that's not a huge accomplishment) and I'm learning a huge amount. I live on a tiny island between England and France. Everything is twice as expensive on materials and we need to ship all our tools here.

I'm lucky in a sense that I can use the companies workshop (still need some equipment) and I'm there every weekend. My last project was a biltong box for my father and now I'm learning everything there is in making/designing chopping boards and laptop stands. There not to sell and I'm making them purely to learn the skills.

Anyway, I'm glad to be part of this forum and I know you'll all teach me alot.

Right, off to the workshop

Cheers

Welcome,
I visited Alderney several times as a Sea Cadet with the RNR minesweepers around 1960/61 wonderful rural Island quite unlike Jersey & Guernsey. The "Cinema" then was upstairs in a timber building, rather like a parish hall, fond memories.

Welcome,
I visited Alderney several times as a Sea Cadet with the RNR minesweepers around 1960/61 wonderful rural Island quite unlike Jersey & Guernsey. The "Cinema" then was upstairs in a timber building, rather like a parish hall, fond memories.
Wow Its nice to hear from someone who've visited! The island has change quite a bit from than a you can imagine. The museum did a piece on old post war alderney from the late 40s to the 70s. It was quite insightful and the change was vast! Funnily enough I'm a projectionist at the cinema. Its now in the centre of town. Alderney is definately worth a visit for the old memories

oneoddguy,
A return is on my bucket list! Interesting that you are connected with the Cinema, it was one of those stand out memories of that time. It was only in such small coastal Minesweeper, that it was possible to get into Alderney. All the other ships I served in were too big.

Back