Hi All

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tybs

Reaction score
Well Hi All, after lurking for a few weeks I've taken the plunge and registered.

I have found the site very inspiring and hope to have something turned really soon, if its ok I might even post a picture.

Suppose I'm lucky as the wife fancies a go too so it has made it easier in getting started.

Just been to Cornwall for a weeks holiday and managed to go to Yandles last Fri, was only supposed to be looking but a new Record DML305 found its way into my boot! Been lugging it all round Cornwall for a week so cant wait to unpack it and turn it on tomorrow.

welcome.gif
to the forum Tybs, at least the sawdust trail won't be a matter of dispute with the Boss joining in.

Thanks for the welcome

Got the lathe secured this afternoon and had a bash on some old wood pieces, not too bad but Oops using the Skew Chisel, bit of a knack/skill needed there.... lots to learn

Will be trying again tomorrow, maybe some pictures next week.

Whats the best way to sharpen the tools, as that isn't an area I have ever had any luck in the past ?

Hi Tybs - I'm relatively new here too. They'll help you all they can here. I'm guessing an inexpensive grinder with a good wheel is what you need.

welcome to you and your wife.
I am relatively new to the spinny world but on using this forum I have found the comments to be really helpful. Most of all I find the work of those who post their stuff to be inspiring.
Enjoy.

Ok folks heres the pictures of my first pen, had a few problems hence the two tone look.

Had two blanks blow out, think it was down to glueing problems as it seemed that the glue hadnt taken, also the hole drilled seemed quite a bit bigger than the tube !

62908_438039791444_620631444_4955539_8328820_n.jpg

The top is Sapelle I think
63326_438039761444_620631444_4955537_2231227_n.jpg

The bottom is Ash
62908_438039786444_620631444_4955538_7365939_n.jpg

Couple of questions for anyone please:

What do you all use to glue tubes in with ?
What wire is used to burn the wood ?

Back