Hi all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would say hi...

I have never done any woodwork until a week ago when I made a canoe paddle, using a jigsaw and an angle grinder so not a subtle approach

676947280_v5uwA-L.jpg

What surprised me was how much I enjoyed working with wood.

I will be lurking in here to learn about more suitable tools and generally about working with wood.

Mark

baggy":gpz1ksy8 said:
Thought I would say hi...

I have never done any woodwork until a week ago when I made a canoe paddle, using a jigsaw and an angle grinder so not a subtle approach

676947280_v5uwA-L.jpg

What surprised me was how much I enjoyed working with wood.

I will be lurking in here to learn about more suitable tools and generally about working with wood.

Mark

hi baggy - welcome to ukw , your pic is caught in the spam trap but this will go away once youve posted 3 times - til then ive quoted so it will show, nice paddle - are you building a canoe to match ?

Hiya

big soft moose":3cnpopif said:
hi baggy - welcome to ukw , your pic is caught in the spam trap but this will go away once youve posted 3 times - til then ive quoted so it will show, nice paddle - are you building a canoe to match ?
Ah, thanks, I wondered what was happening to the pic.

I already own an Apache 15ft fibreglass canoe, I would love to build a wooden canoe. Since making the paddle I plan to make more paddles, but I would also like to look at carving things like spoon, bowls and other rustic, basic items.

Since posting I have found mention of a "crook knife" which is used in traditional paddle making.

Matk

Welcome Mark :wink: , have you got a Creek lined up. :lol: :oops:
"I know, Hat, Coat, TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

baggy":1tm3rezm said:
Hiya

big soft moose":1tm3rezm said:
Ah, thanks, I wondered what was happening to the pic.

I already own an Apache 15ft fibreglass canoe, I would love to build a wooden canoe. Since making the paddle I plan to make more paddles, but I would also like to look at carving things like spoon, bowls and other rustic, basic items.

Since posting I have found mention of a "crook knife" which is used in traditional paddle making.

Matk

i think a crook knife is like a draw knife with only one handle - a bit like a froe (course i could be talking out of my posterior)

if you are interested in spoons this might be of use http://www.spooncarving.org.uk/

big soft moose":1lad2sxo said:
i think a crook knife is like a draw knife with only one handle - a bit like a froe (course i could be talking out of my posterior)

if you are interested in spoons this might be of use http://www.spooncarving.org.uk/

There is a crooked knife, the bottom photo, here
http://www.wcha.org/paddles/northwoods/
note the long handle to allow for the extended thumb.

That spoon link is great tVM

Mark

crazylilting":3jy1e5zy said:
Good to see people building things that will keep our youth in line. Welcome and keep up the good public service you provide.

Hmm... not it's intended purpose, but now you mention it :)

Back