Hi all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjames

Reaction score
French based irish man here,
I started out rebuilding a barge with next to no knowledge and ended up starting a business which "does" barges - electricity, plumbing, welding and woodworking of course.
There were 20 years between the first boat and the company ! I had to learn a bit.....
Huge stock of tools, I love buying new toys when I can convince myself that it is really almost necessary, and a job will come along that we can use the tool for; I did buy a domino machine that took 6 months to get out of its box and then it got stolen :0))))))
Happy to be here

" I love buying new toys when I can convince myself that it is really almost necessary, and a job will come along that we can use the tool for;"
Oddly, that rings a (tiny) bell here too!
Welcome James.

French based irish man here,
I started out rebuilding a barge with next to no knowledge and ended up starting a business which "does" barges - electricity, plumbing, welding and woodworking of course.
There were 20 years between the first boat and the company ! I had to learn a bit.....
Huge stock of tools, I love buying new toys when I can convince myself that it is really almost necessary, and a job will come along that we can use the tool for; I did buy a domino machine that took 6 months to get out of its box and then it got stolen :0))))))
Happy to be here
Welcome to another nuthouse JJ, as 1 Irish expat in France to another, where the pineapple are you ?
I'm near neufchateau/Chaumont
Karl

Ha. A man after my own heart. Welcome!

I commissioned a 60’ WB barge 15 yrs ago. Meanwhile did a welding course, developed my woodworking, learnt plumbing and basic electrics. In fact, just started working in the solar PV / BESS industry, which has reignited my interest in DC electricity.

Always wanted to incorporate a couple of Lync Motors (in series) combined with a dedicated water cooled generator but have yet to realise this design. Also interested in fuel cell technology, whereby costs have come down so much in the last 10yrs. My sister, who is very active in the sustainability sector, co-hosted the UK’s first ever hydrogen fuel cell Eco Rally yonks ago, which I was fascinated with but at the time the technology was bleeding edge and too expensive for me.

And don’t get me started on lidar - self driving autonomous barge anyone!!??

However, I lacked the tenacity to turn it into a research project or business, so props to ya!

Back