Helping a metal worker and Identifying some timber!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craynerd

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I’m a clock maker from north Manchester U.K. I’ve been a member on here for some time as I enjoy reading the topics and seeing your creations however I do stick to metal working and specifically clock building. I actually joined here when I tried to get into cabinet building for my clocks but I decided against it and to leave that to the experts!

I’m making a brass tower clock and yet the barrel is 2.5” diameter and 3.5” long and therefore the author, Wilding, suggests hardwood. I believe I shouldn’t use Oak because it’ll corrode the steel bar going though the centre and I’m struggling to source anything else locally. I’d like to use applewood if I had an option as I know someone who has used this on their build of this clock. However, I’ve spent fortunes on materials already so looking in my limited wood stock, I’ve come across this piece. The rest of the pieces that would be similar are all oak but this seems to look different.

I’m not use to using wood so don’t know if this is an impossible question, but from the pictures, can you guess or suggest what this could be? Or perhaps point me in the right direction to purchasing say a 3 x 4” lump of apple wood or similar suitable hardwood to turn down to a cylinder?

4M80TvzRFWpc.jpg

craynerd":32zgm73n said:
I’m not use to using wood so don’t know if this is an impossible question, but from the pictures, can you guess or suggest what this could be? Or perhaps point me in the right direction to purchasing say a 3 x 4” lump of apple wood or similar suitable hardwood to turn down to a cylinder?

It's difficult to say what timber that is without seeing it in person but my first guess would possibly be Idigbo.

There are people that sell turning blanks such as Yandles and would possibly have 4x4 Apple spindle blanks, you'd have to look around. Have you thought about using Yew? It's a very nice timber to turn and it's a very attractive timber, It's also in high abundance and is rather inexpensive. Apple is quite dull in comparison. The only problem with yew is you do get microcracks if it's not been dried properly and you even do if it has been dried properly.

I was going to describe that wood as "mahoganoid", probably some African species. Such as idigbo, but there are others it could be.

Likely to be pretty stable and not crack, if properly seasoned. I don't know if the grain orientation is problematic for turning, others will. If ok for turning, it should work fine.

There is an outside chance that it is Brazilian mahogany.It could also,and more probably,be one of the species sold under the umbrella description of meranti.Please be aware that the pale piece in one corner looks like sapwood and shouldn't be used in quality work.

It looks like idigbo to me.
It could be ramin, which is virtually unobtainable these days,

I used some idigbo in the mid-sixties, and found it easy to work but somewhat featureless in appearance. It was also quite soft for a hardwood, and marked easily. It finishes well and takes stain. Never used it since, but I wouldn't ignore it if it was going to do the job!

Hope that helps

John

Benchwayze":38fgjkr0 said:
It looks like idigbo to me.

I used some idigbo in the mid-sixties, and found it easy to work but somewhat featureless in appearance. It was also quite soft for a hardwood, and marked easily. It finishes well and takes stain. Never used it since, but I wouldn't ignore it if it was going to do the job!

Hope that helps

John

It might be idigbo,but that hasn't been common for a good while which might mean it is old stock and might be a bit dry.Definitely not ramin as that is a pale straw colour throughout.

Benchwayze":vmpbsib4 said:

I made quite a large run (150m or so) of picture frame moulding from Ramin about 2 years ago, I think we got it from Lathams timber.

I did read it was on the scarce list, so maybe that source was wrong! I also find idigbo available here: https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/idigbo-emeri.html

Which is where I sourced mine in the 1960s, strangely enough; the firm was then in Sheepcote Street, in Birmingham.
That was for one of my first major projects. I had very few tools then and the job was put together mainly with a lot of screws, located in angled holes. Sound familiar these days? No jig then though! That sideboard that lasted me for 40 years. :mrgreen:

Cheers

John

Back